anybody ever heard this noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > anybody ever heard this noise?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

anybody ever heard this noise?

This is a ZJ but I post in the XJ forum because it's an AX15e and NP231 from a 94 XJ.
Here's a link to the video..

Happens only in 1-3 from what I've seen. I'm ruling out clutch/hydraulics for now since they're all new. Looking more towards my junkyard bought AX15 and 231

Last edited by chris87xj; 05-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: bad link removal - short tube links won't work
dirtymissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Np231 and AX15 Grand Cherokee Grinding noise.:

Last edited by chris87xj; 05-09-2014 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: bad link removal
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Let's try this again.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L050u8CWjU0
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hard to really make on my tiny laptop speakers, but sounds to me, like chain in your np231 is scraping the casing.
foreveryoung001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
Hard to really make on my tiny laptop speakers, but sounds to me, like chain in your np231 is scraping the casing.
Not going to lie sort of glad to hear that as a second opinion. I've never had to do any work on a t case. Would this be cause by a worn chain or could the planetary gears be causeing this too? Before I installed the t case I split it to change out the Input shaft so it would work w my AX15. Everything seemed nice and tight with minimal play so I assumed it would be fine.

Anybody have anything on the whirring noise and wobbling noise that is only present with the clutch engaged?
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymissouri View Post
Not going to lie sort of glad to hear that as a second opinion. I've never had to do any work on a t case. Would this be cause by a worn chain or could the planetary gears be causeing this too? Before I installed the t case I split it to change out the Input shaft so it would work w my AX15. Everything seemed nice and tight with minimal play so I assumed it would be fine.

Anybody have anything on the whirring noise and wobbling noise that is only present with the clutch engaged?
I'm not an expert, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but it sure sounds like the chain rubbing to me. The only way that I know of to check, is to open it up and see if there are rub marks on the case. I'm not sure if you'd get that sound from bad gears... To me, and again, I'm listening on my laptop so its a little hard to make out the sounds, but it sure sounds like the chain to me, and not the grinding I would expect from a gear.

I'll take another listen with some headphones when I get a chance, but someone else will probably chime in by then.
foreveryoung001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Put the transfer case in nuetral, then run it threw the gears if it's quite is look at the tcase. It's not a guarantee, the noise could depend on load
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Mines doing that. I thinks its either the chain or shift fork.
I'm rebuilding mine this week with the wider chain and 6 planetary.
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
dirtymissouri
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
Put the transfer case in nuetral, then run it threw the gears if it's quite is look at the tcase. It's not a guarantee, the noise could depend on load
Tried that as well as tcase in 4x4 and 2wd on Jack's. Couldn't get it to happen. I talked to my cousin who's an experienced mechanic, he said a retaining clip or c clip in side the t case may have come loose or broke and the shift fork "tries to shift" when vibrated. As for these other strange sounds, I have determined bad bearings in the trans. So looks like I'm dropping this again for the 3rd time to rebuild.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.