Anybody 97-01 with white face/glow gauges?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Anybody 97-01 with white face/glow gauges??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Reply
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
compcrasher86
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marblehead, MA, Henrietta, NY
Posts: 6,279
Yeah, honestly I'm really not trying to make it look ricer or crappy or anything. In all honesty I could have cared less if they glow or not, I just really liked the look of the cluster-wide white face instead of the individual gauges. The glow is just a little gimmick that comes with it

__________________
98 XJ Sport | i6 | AW4 | 231 | Stone White | Agate Leather

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
srmitchell
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Humboldt County, CA, California
Posts: 3,494
IMO, theres nothing wrong with changing the look of the factory gauges. I hate the stock illumination. So I fixed it.


__________________
2001 XJ, patriot blue, 4 inch RE lift, IRO long arms, 33's. Caged, locked, armored -Trail Rig
2004 WJ Special Edition, Silver, 3 inch IRO lift, 4.7, JK graphite moab wheels/SRA's- Mom's dd
2004 WJ Overland, Onyx Green, 90% dechromed, soon to have JK moab's, BFG MT's, and a 3 inch IRO lift My new DD/ project
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
justanotherjpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
IMO, theres nothing wrong with changing the look of the factory gauges. I hate the stock illumination. So I fixed it.

What did you do?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
navymech
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 91
^ x2!! What did you do? Those look great. LED bulbs??
navymech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
98ia-xj
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 56
I like the white face of the gauge for day driving, it wld be better than the black thats stock...IMO....I wld love to this mod to mine...
__________________
1998 Cherokee Limited XJ-Stock :-( Except for a K&N Air Filter.......
98ia-xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
compcrasher86
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marblehead, MA, Henrietta, NY
Posts: 6,279
That LED conversion does make it much more vibrant and better looking. Good Job! I as well as 98ia-xj would like the white face for day driving, I like the looks of it alot. so this kit was a pretty good matchup for me.
__________________
98 XJ Sport | i6 | AW4 | 231 | Stone White | Agate Leather

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
GregB_00XJ
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by navymech View Post
^ x2!! What did you do? Those look great. LED bulbs??
I believe this kit was used off of ebay. I am still leaning towards the blue to match my Premier head unit... $45 bucks though?
__________________
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic XJ - 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 5.7L WK - CDN M101 1/4 Ton Trailer


____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
srmitchell
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Humboldt County, CA, California
Posts: 3,494
WRONG! LED light swap. I also did the tcase and tranny lights, but they failed badly.

Electrical 97+ XJ Interior LED Conversion - WebWheeling.com Forums

That will answer everything ^.
__________________
2001 XJ, patriot blue, 4 inch RE lift, IRO long arms, 33's. Caged, locked, armored -Trail Rig
2004 WJ Special Edition, Silver, 3 inch IRO lift, 4.7, JK graphite moab wheels/SRA's- Mom's dd
2004 WJ Overland, Onyx Green, 90% dechromed, soon to have JK moab's, BFG MT's, and a 3 inch IRO lift My new DD/ project
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
compcrasher86
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marblehead, MA, Henrietta, NY
Posts: 6,279
I got it in the mail today and all I can say is disaster....

It said on the ebay site that the product needed no removal of the gauges, well... It was wrong. The thing is one huge piece and it is not easily flexible so I tried and tried again and could not get it over the needles. The trip reset button was what set me back in the end, I couldn't get over the top of it while staying on the gauges...

So without thinking, I popped the needles off. Biggest mistake I ever made. I got everything on but I figured I would be able to just pop the needles back on and all would be swell.... wrong. All of the gauges were out of adjustment and to top it all off the indiglo wasn't positioned properly with the indicator lights so it all had to be removed and re-done. This time I turned the engine on and stuck the needles in at my known normal operating specs. Only thing is... the temp gauge is useless now, once I pop it in, it just floats down to 0 or does something else random and useless. I can't figure it out. MPH is also off by roughly 10mph because I had no way of checking it. I will have to do something dangerous and try to pop it on the right number while driving down a straight road. The white gauges are AMAZING as far as looks and sharpness go in the day but I am somewhat dissapointed in the indiglo features. As I feared, it is still weird looking around the indicator outlines and also for some reason I get a barely audible high-pitched whine from the inverter when I switch to blue illumination (my favorite) Under engine noise, its totally negligible. I'm thinking that if I pull of the original black overlay that comes with the cluster factory, and replace it with the white gauge one, I will get a much better look and the instrument cluster lighting will line up and work, but that also involves popping the needles off again. So far, I regret the trouble it has given me, but I know in the end I'll enjoy it. Every time I see the white gauges I can't help but remember how sharp they look
__________________
98 XJ Sport | i6 | AW4 | 231 | Stone White | Agate Leather

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #25
justanotherjpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I got it in the mail today and all I can say is disaster....

It said on the ebay site that the product needed no removal of the gauges, well... It was wrong. The thing is one huge piece and it is not easily flexible so I tried and tried again and could not get it over the needles. The trip reset button was what set me back in the end, I couldn't get over the top of it while staying on the gauges...

So without thinking, I popped the needles off. Biggest mistake I ever made. I got everything on but I figured I would be able to just pop the needles back on and all would be swell.... wrong. All of the gauges were out of adjustment and to top it all off the indiglo wasn't positioned properly with the indicator lights so it all had to be removed and re-done. This time I turned the engine on and stuck the needles in at my known normal operating specs. Only thing is... the temp gauge is useless now, once I pop it in, it just floats down to 0 or does something else random and useless. I can't figure it out. MPH is also off by roughly 10mph because I had no way of checking it. I will have to do something dangerous and try to pop it on the right number while driving down a straight road. The white gauges are AMAZING as far as looks and sharpness go in the day but I am somewhat dissapointed in the indiglo features. As I feared, it is still weird looking around the indicator outlines and also for some reason I get a barely audible high-pitched whine from the inverter when I switch to blue illumination (my favorite) Under engine noise, its totally negligible. I'm thinking that if I pull of the original black overlay that comes with the cluster factory, and replace it with the white gauge one, I will get a much better look and the instrument cluster lighting will line up and work, but that also involves popping the needles off again. So far, I regret the trouble it has given me, but I know in the end I'll enjoy it. Every time I see the white gauges I can't help but remember how sharp they look
Wow! Thanks for this information!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #26
Fireman4949
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
I got it in the mail today and all I can say is disaster....

It said on the ebay site that the product needed no removal of the gauges, well... It was wrong. The thing is one huge piece and it is not easily flexible so I tried and tried again and could not get it over the needles. The trip reset button was what set me back in the end, I couldn't get over the top of it while staying on the gauges...

So without thinking, I popped the needles off. Biggest mistake I ever made. I got everything on but I figured I would be able to just pop the needles back on and all would be swell.... wrong. All of the gauges were out of adjustment and to top it all off the indiglo wasn't positioned properly with the indicator lights so it all had to be removed and re-done. This time I turned the engine on and stuck the needles in at my known normal operating specs. Only thing is... the temp gauge is useless now, once I pop it in, it just floats down to 0 or does something else random and useless. I can't figure it out. MPH is also off by roughly 10mph because I had no way of checking it. I will have to do something dangerous and try to pop it on the right number while driving down a straight road. The white gauges are AMAZING as far as looks and sharpness go in the day but I am somewhat dissapointed in the indiglo features. As I feared, it is still weird looking around the indicator outlines and also for some reason I get a barely audible high-pitched whine from the inverter when I switch to blue illumination (my favorite) Under engine noise, its totally negligible. I'm thinking that if I pull of the original black overlay that comes with the cluster factory, and replace it with the white gauge one, I will get a much better look and the instrument cluster lighting will line up and work, but that also involves popping the needles off again. So far, I regret the trouble it has given me, but I know in the end I'll enjoy it. Every time I see the white gauges I can't help but remember how sharp they look
Here's a little tip for anyone wanting to install these gauges. I did this when I installed my new glow gauge face and it worked perfectly.

Using a pair if scissors, cut a slit from the outside of the gauge face to the hole where the needle hubs are located on each gauge.
This will allow the gauge face to be maneuvered over the needles without having to remove them. Cutting a slit for the odometer reset button is also a good idea.
Be patient and be careful to not bend or break the needles.
Now, simply align the new face over the OEM cluster, attach the new face and connect the wiring.

Also, if you hold the odometer reset button in and cycle the ignition on and off twice, it will initiate a gauge lamp check which will illuminate the OEM cluster. This can help with aligning the new face in the proper position.

The electro-luminescent paper on the gauge face will illuminate exactly as it did before being cut. As long as there is continuity of the gauge face paper, it will work just fine.
The slits that were cut will butt together and will virtually disappear once the install is complete.
Fireman4949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
compcrasher86
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marblehead, MA, Henrietta, NY
Posts: 6,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman4949 View Post
Here's a little tip for anyone wanting to install these gauges. I did this when I installed my new glow gauge face and it worked perfectly.

Using a pair if scissors, cut a slit from the outside of the gauge face to the hole where the needle hubs are located on each gauge.
This will allow the gauge face to be maneuvered over the needles without having to remove them. Cutting a slit for the odometer reset button is also a good idea.
Be patient and be careful to not bend or break the needles.
Now, simply align the new face over the OEM cluster, attach the new face and connect the wiring.

Also, if you hold the odometer reset button in and cycle the ignition on and off twice, it will initiate a gauge lamp check which will illuminate the OEM cluster. This can help with aligning the new face in the proper position.

The electro-luminescent paper on the gauge face will illuminate exactly as it did before being cut. As long as there is continuity of the gauge face paper, it will work just fine.
The slits that were cut will butt together and will virtually disappear once the install is complete.
AHHH I'm slamming my head against the wall now, I wish I had known this before I did mine!!! I got mine done by pulling the needles off but I strongly advise against that because my gauges went out of line. In the end though, mine are back in calibration, but I broke the temp gauge in the process. It doesnt read anything anymore. Damm, I wish I had known you could cut these things. Darn...

Oh also, you dont need to cycle the ignition, just hold the button while you turn the key to "on" and then let go of the button once you hear a beep.
__________________
98 XJ Sport | i6 | AW4 | 231 | Stone White | Agate Leather

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #28
Fireman4949
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 77
[QUOTE=compcrasher86;8321666]AHHH I'm slamming my head against the wall now, I wish I had known this before I did mine!!! I got mine done by pulling the needles off but I strongly advise against that because my gauges went out of line. In the end though, mine are back in calibration, but I broke the temp gauge in the process. It doesnt read anything anymore. Damm, I wish I had known you could cut these things. Darn...QUOTE]

I was having the same problem you were.
I had to find a solution that didn't involve needle removal!
Fireman4949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Rhyno97
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hazard, Kentucky
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
WRONG! LED light swap. I also did the tcase and tranny lights, but they failed badly.

Electrical 97+ XJ Interior LED Conversion - WebWheeling.com Forums

That will answer everything ^.
So i read the write up, im still confused as to what number the bulb is for the gauges.... could you clarify on this for me? thanks~
Rhyno97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #30
gabejeep
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 128
Ok, So I made the same mistake the first guy did removing the needles to install this same glow gauge face plate.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix the gauge needles?

Thanks!

-Topianno
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.