Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any Write Ups On This?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  89SAFARIXJ 
#1 ·
so this is what im thinking...

...just wondering, have any of you guys ever seen a write up on this? one that shows exactly what is involved to do it correctly? anything helps...

BTW: im interested in doing this. but not at the point of doing it tomorrow or anything.

-Sean

See less See more
#5 ·
you wont find what you are looking for here, go to pirate4x4.com and go to the cherokee section, there are countless threads there about chopping the back off and tons of pics to show you what the process will entail...i will warn you though, think long and hard about any post you make there because they will flame the **** out of you.

#7 ·
As simple as it looks it's not. Ya you take a saw and cut the roof off. The problem is knowing where to cut it and how make it all fit back together.

As for how to button it all back up.......There are several ways. You could use the back of a comanche as most do, you can hunt down a later model hatch made of metal and cut that in, you can go to a boat shop or upholstery shop and have them make a soft top for it.

The bottom line is no what way it's done you will also have to think about the structural integrity of the vehicle and how to return it to what it was or better. So a full cage or full exo along with frame plating is a most.

I'm in the middle of doing something along these lines right now. This is the thread I start awhile back on it. I hope you like body work.....

#10 ·
well. thanks for all the input guys. the way i would want to do mine is like the gold one on NAXJA:
NAXJA CHOP
id like to do it clean like that and seal it up real nice so its warm for winter. but if it is manditory to exocage it, idk if i have the skills to do an exo. dont relaly know how to tie everything in.
idk the photoshop was cool though :D.

#11 · (Edited)
It doesn't have to be exo'ed but it should have a cage at the very least that is tied to frame plates, IMO.

If you just chop the rear off and close it up whats boxing in/supporting the rear half of the vehicle at the rear shackle hanger. What is taking the stress of the rear leaf hanger? I liken it to a cardboard box. It's pretty rigid when whole. Start cutting parts off and it weakens it pretty fast. If it was a DD and never really saw the dirt then it should do fine for the most part. But if you truly start to wheel it with out reinforcing the rear area it will start to have issues in no time flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.