Any way to do a SYE kit from junkyard parts??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any way to do a SYE kit from junkyard parts???

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
93ZJbeast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any way to do a SYE kit from junkyard parts???

I rememebr reading u can do it with a front driveshaft and some other parts but dont remember. Its a 6 cyl auto with a 4.5" lift, 1998.

Dropped rear to far offroad and bent the oputput spline and the drifshaft poped out so i want to fix it right and not just get a new stock transfercase for it to happen again.

So does anyone know about the sye kit to use with a junkyard front driveshaft. I mainly just dont want to get a custom shaft made

**2000 sea-doo XP - plain fun
93ZJbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
glatt513
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Tech FAQ sticky is the place to look.
glatt513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
93ZJbeast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the reply.

What i getting from that faq is that i should use this kit:

1807 SYE KIT CV TJ/XJ 96+ *Hack N’ Tap* (NP231/ NP242)
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=153

but my output shaft is bent. what do i need to get to replace the output shaft on my tranfercase? None of the junkyards around me want to split up a transfercase and they all want $300+ for used leaking units.

Im going to get a front driveshaft to use in the rear, so with the SYE kit thats $100 i posted and the front driveshaft, what else do i need to do this? Is their anyone on here that can sell me a output shaft that is already cut and tapped to work with this SYE kit??

-Phil
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJbeast View Post
thanks for the reply.

What i getting from that faq is that i should use this kit:

1807 SYE KIT CV TJ/XJ 96+ *Hack N’ Tap* (NP231/ NP242)
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=153

but my output shaft is bent. what do i need to get to replace the output shaft on my tranfercase? None of the junkyards around me want to split up a transfercase and they all want $300+ for used leaking units.

Im going to get a front driveshaft to use in the rear, so with the SYE kit thats $100 i posted and the front driveshaft, what else do i need to do this? Is their anyone on here that can sell me a output shaft that is already cut and tapped to work with this SYE kit??

-Phil
You can get a good used shaft off ebay for under 20 bucks....
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you need a new output shaft, you need to get one of the HD SYE kits.

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/...?idproduct=567

The front DS out of an XJ, preferrably with the AW4 for the correct length, will bolt directly to this SYE kit.

Or you try to find a replacement stock output shaft, maybe from someone that's installed an HD SYE kit in their t'case and still has their stock output shaft left over. You'd need to find one out of a similar year model XJ as yours. Being a 1998 XJ, I think the output shaft from a TJ should work as well, again, from a similar year model.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have my old output shaft from a 91(HO) 231 case, if you have the 242 then you may have a little more trouble finding an output shaft(tom woods?)
Good luck

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
93ZJbeast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How about this guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m360052888572&

Seems like it comes with everything besides the Driveshaft? What do u guys think? It looks like it comes with a new output shaft thats already the right length for a SYE kit. Im looking for a complete kit to bolt into the transfercase. $260 shipped doesnt seem to bad either.

Opinions??

-Phil
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/...?idproduct=567

$244 shipped.

FYI, that SuperShort kit really isn't needed on an XJ at all, and with those shorty kits you've also got to install a ~$170+ digital signal converter if you want to be able to recalibrate (correct) the speedometer/odometer.

edit: do people really shop ebay for new parts that much? I've been thinking about setting up an ebay shop for a while now, just haven't been sure if it'd really be worth it or not.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

alot of times I just glance at ebay to see if they have what I am looking for.
you could probably do pretty well on ebay just watch out for the deadbeats

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
bushytails

I usually only look for used stuff on ebay - most of the ebay stores charge as much or more than real stores, AND you have to deal with ebay.

--Bushytails
bushytails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.