Any long-distance towing tips? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any long-distance towing tips?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #91
anony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Thanks cbenez1!

My thinking he may have blown the rear bearing seal but he couldn't tell if it was coming out of the bottom of the trans bell housing. He said it's dry around the oil filter and on top of the valve cover. Don't know if he can make it the whole rest of the distance pouring oil into it or not? Believe he's only about half way there and has those steep/winding hills in Arizona to look forward to.. Oh, boy..
ATF can potentially boil over and/or expand causing it to leak out.

The AW4 operating heat range is under 180 deg. F.

You might have him take a look around the top side of the transmission and bell housing.

It is not all that unusual to have ATF spill out a transmission breather. (and sometimes the dip stick) If there is too much or too little ATF , ATF has a tendency, especially while under stress and excess heat, to form bubbles (aerate) expanding fluid and increased pressure sometimes causing an over flow or leak ... can potentially effect weak spots such as a worn seal, etc.

Using a flash light, I would inspect the top side transmission, looking for oil and any leaks in the vent hose and connections ...

The Jeep parts manual shows a couple of locations for breather tubes. The AW4 breather tube on the transmission should be located on the top side of transmission behind the bell housing the TC should be somewhere on the front side of the TC. There are also tube & hose adapters, fittings and seals.

On my XJ the end of the vent hoses are routed to the top of the firewall in the engine compartment. Some vent / breather values may be located closer to the transmission.

item 33 is the transmission breather.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...e/00i77469.jpg

anony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #92
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the input and link anony! My son said he thought he saw that trans breather tube was attached to the firewall. In not being all that familiar with the AW4 I told him that was probably the breather for the differential while he was probably right as you just confirmed. Bet it did overheat with bubbles causing too much pressure spewing it out of the vent. Luckily it hasn't overheated since/leaked any fluid and he made it through most the steep hills in Arizona.

He called last night, the trip is still going well, and has a good friend in Phoenix he was going to try to stay with overnight. Unfortunately the guy was working the late shift so they couldn't hook up. His friend told him he has to get off route I-17 and go see Slide Rock State Park in Sedona, AZ since it's beautiful. My son told him he's hauling a huge trailer and the guy said it's all downhill then you can jump right back on I-17 after driving through it.

So my son took his advice and drove through the park. Little did he know he would be driving down a super steep mountain side on a real windy 2 lane road with 1,000+ foot drop off's, often no guard rails, and very few places to pull off w/a trailer. Also the park was packed with people since it was a really nice weather Saturday.

My son told me he saw about the most beautiful scenery he's ever seen and drove right though the bottom of the center of the park while then getting right back on I-17. I asked him if he rode the brake going downhill and he said he just crawled down the road. Guess this still doesn't explain how he kept the heavy trailer from pushing him downhill.

He thought maybe he was about 5 hours from San Diego when I spoke with him but may stay somewhere in Phoenix overnight and take his time. Really hoping to hear from him this morning and he may already be there!

BTW, here's something funny. When trying to sleep in his XJ in NM it got down to 32 degrees overnight and he only had one blanket with him. He crawled in his back seat with his 120lb Mastiff Max and they kept each other warm overnight while sleeping in the back seat together. I'd like to see my 6'2" son sleeping with his huge dog in the not very big back seat together!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #93
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Good to know he's Doing ok. From everything you said earlier about the smoking it sounds exactly like a small shot from trans vent. Usually harmless but it stinks and smokes.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #94
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

HE MADE IT!

He pulled into my daughter's N of San Diego this morning at 11:30am after driving 2,350 miles and what a trip! It was really nice they had a big "Finish" sign hung over the drive along with "Welcome Home Uncle Todd" from my 7-year old grandson. Actually it's his new home for now.

When I spoke with him last night from Arizona he thought he was done with about all the hills but he wasn't. When he woke up this morning he drove through some really big hills where his trans was blowing fluid out of the trans vent again. It stopped once he got out of the hills/heat on level roads. He finally admitted his trailer and load was just too much for his 96 4.0 XJ. But have to admit it did make it and he said it's a trip he will remember for the rest of his life!

Thanks for all the help and support from all those who participated in this thread!

Unread 09-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #95
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Woohooo!!!

Props to your son for having inside what it took to see this through and make it happen, and to you for all the effort to give him every fighting chance.
I love a story with a happy ending, thanks for sharing it with us.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #96
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the support Chris and enjoyed sharing a trip which turned out real nice! Didn't someone say a couple days ago, "I think he's gonna make it!".

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #97
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Typical Jeep finish. They'll get you there. Might be smoking, knocking and on 3 wheels, but they'll get you there. Remember.... An ugly victory is still a victory !
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #98
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks cbenez1 and how right your are about a Jeep crossing the finish line!

With my son taking up the hobby of running long-distance marathons (26.2 miles) in the past 1-2 years he definitely has stamina and knows what it's like to be maybe not be running on all cylinders. He's tickled he just qualified/registered for the Boston Marathon next Spring with a time of 2 hours 52 minutes which is pretty darn fast.

So what's the kid do yesterday, his first day in SD, after sitting/driving for 3-4 days? He runs 30 miles in one stretch! He didn't quite mean to run this far but my son-in-law miscalculated the distance from their house to where he dropped him off!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.