Any ideas? '99 cherokee stalling at low RPMs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
redman011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any ideas? '99 cherokee stalling at low RPMs

Hey guys so I bought a 99 cherokee about a year and a half ago. It's ran great until a couple of months ago.

Recently it started having stalling/flucuating RPMs when at idle or cruising down the road and letting off the gas. It only does this in low/idle type RPMs Driving in town is a hassle because the RPM will drop to almost 0 and stall the surge up to over 1000 and the vehicle will freakin' jump forward and then almost die again and then surge again... as long as my foot is on the gas it runs fine.

Restarting fixes it for a while. Runs smooth as butter when its not doing the weird RPM thing.

On the highway if Im hitting the brake while going downhill from highway speeds it completely dies and then I have NO power steering and is some what dangerous Check engine light comes on. Havent gotten the codes pulled yet (to much frustration with my local shop)

I was told it might be the idler pulley... however from some research it sounds more like a TPS/throttle body/fuel injection issue.

Please help I dont have the money to buy a new vehicle nor do I want one. This jeep means the world to me

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Download the Check Engine Light codes, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong.

Test the alternator and battery. Test the TPS and CPS. Test the fuel pressure. Clean your Idle Air Controller. Are all your tune-up parts fresh ?

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM
WDJR9410

I'm sure this issue has already been fixed but I'll post how I fixed mine for others who may have the same problem. At first, I was told that it could be a full tune up or something to do with the fuel filter or pump. Before I decided to replace my filter, all I did was replaced my distributor cap and that seemed to be the whole problem. So it could be something as simple as that or plugs, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.