Any difference in hubs...? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any difference in hubs...?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #31
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your replacement brake parts are good quality parts, there is no difference in braking performance or brake service life, cast vs. composite. Cheap parts vs. good quality parts, good quality parts always last longer and perform better.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #32
Uziel
1998 ZJ 

and for the bearing themselves, newer = better ?
Uziel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #33
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No differences in hub type either. Cheap parts vs. good quality parts, good quality parts always last longer and perform better. I always buy Timken brand hubs.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Uziel
1998 ZJ 

okay thank you
Uziel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #35
xjpower1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
[SIZE=2]1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the RIGHT of the picture uses the CAST ROTOR. The 1999.5 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs have the taller ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut. It is 1-1/8 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs. See pictures below.

-------------------------------

1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the LEFT of the picture uses the COMPOSITE ROTOR. The 1990 - 1999.5 unit bearing/hubs have the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut that is approximately 3/4 inch tall. See pictures below.
I am going to add my experience on this subject to this. I replaced a unit bearing today, after looking at both timken units in the store, I went with the cast rotor bearing. Interesting though, the ring that goes around the 36mm nut is 3/4 inch tall as was the size of the skirt on the old unit bearing.

I would say it's possible that timken at some point used the same plate (or whatever you want to call it) on both styles of unit bearings.

I think it would be really helpful to add what the overall height of each bearing is as there is a clear difference between the 2.
xjpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
TippyJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Doing the front brakes on my 99 XJ for the first time since I bought it in Dec 2009. I did the passenger side first and everything went fine (rotors calipers and pads). Driver's side didn't go so well. After a lot of work and four letter words, I realized I have two different hubs. Passenger side has the longer studs and higher retaining nut ring. Driver's side has the shorter studs and the shorter retaining nut ring. I was able to get the driver side caliper on (not easily though) and I don't have a lot of threads left on the stud for the lug nuts but I think I'm OK (I've been driving it this way (unknowingly) for almost 4 years and never had a problem) so my question is this:

1. should I leave the driver's side hub in and buy a composite rotor to fit the hub
2. should I buy a hub to fit the cast rotor

3. Can I leave it as is (cast rotor on the composite stye hub)? Again, this is the way it was when I bought it and have had no problems with it.

The build date is Jan 99 so I'm not sure what was on there originally. The passenger side hub (cast rotor) looks a little newer.

What am I looking at if want to swap out the hub? Is there a wheel bearing in there that I need to deal with or is it just a matter of removing the cotter pin and retaining nut and putting on the new hub?
TippyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) If you need a new rotor, buy whatever rotor fits the hub in question. If you need longer lug nut studs, the auto parts store can order some.

2) Rotors are cheaper to buy, and easier to install than hubs, if the hub is OK, you can leave it alone. If you need one new hub, I would buy the same type as on the opposite side.

3) There is no technical or safety reason that says you cannot have one each of the different hub types on the same axle, but it might make buying new brakes in the future a bit more complicated.

There are plenty of hub install threads and YouTube videos. The basic steps are remove the hub and axle shaft from the axle housing, remove the 36mm axle nut, separate the axle shaft from the unit hub, assemble your new hub onto the axle shaft, and reinstall everything onto the axle housing.

Unread 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #38
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

my 99 jeep xj manuu date 6/99 ..........ok here is my problem......... when I got this two years ago I did calipers pads and rotors. the local parts guys told me there were two different rotors. so I went by their word.. I think I even brought the rotor back and tried it on but it didn't work thats why I went back. but everything seems to work fine. now after looking at the parts ... I clearly have the cast iron rotor from the measurements and the pictures but my wheel hubs measure the 3/4" measurement like the composite wheel hub should but the picture is looks like the cast iron /99 and up because of the space between where the flange for the 3 bolts go and the 5 bolt flange for the rotor is complete smooth metal. it doesn't look like that gab with that black rubberish stuff
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

As long as your brakes work properly and don't constantly drag then id bet you have the correct hub/rotor combo. As long as you keep those both consistent you'll be fine.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:50 AM   #40
feipoa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I too have the cast rotors. The replacement hubs I ordered 2 years ago for cast rotors also had the 3/4" tall ring on the hub. The rotors, which are still original from my '99 XJ purchase, seem to fit and work fine with these hubs. A few people in this thread have mentioned this now. I wonder if you should add a caveat to your original post?

I bought my XJ new in 1999. It has a build date of Dec. 1998. I am still using the original rotors, but I have new hubs and calipers. My cast rotors agree with your measurements for cast rotors. I am posting now because I'm in the market for some new rotors and brake pads.
feipoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #41
Moneypitjeep99

Ok don't want to bring up old stuff but I am chasing a popping and pulling situation and yes alignment, ball joints, bushings, track bar, axel u-joints, are done as well as adjusting and going through upper and lower control arms, I was reading this article and checking my front wheel bearings and realized my rotors were wrong for my hubs as for the dimensions listed. So I went out and bought correct fitment ones and after tightening lug nuts the wheels do not turn.
Before I set it on the ground and take her for a run and chock up the $80 loss on rotors as I've already done and can't take these back does anyone have any advice? I checked and rechecked all my measurements on my existing rotors and ones at the auto parts store prior to buying. My old ones were less than month old and worked but my main concern is chasing an grinding popping noise up front at slow speeds 5-10 mph especially when going up a hill and it has become progressively worse and noticeable at higher speeds.
Moneypitjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #42
Moneypitjeep99

I have seen the measurements mixed up on several jeep forums now between which gets composit rotor or cast as to the height of the ring around the nut on the hub. 1-1/8, 1/2, 3/4. 3/4 or 1/2 is cast?
Moneypitjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #43
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are only two hub types, as shown in the pictures of Posting #2. The early 99 and older hubs have a ring measuring about 1/2" and the late 99 and later hubs have a ring measuring about 3/4". A size difference of greater than 1/4 inch should be easy to differentiate with a ruler or tape measure.

If you install the wrong rotor type/dimensions for the hub type on the axle, the brakes will bind up severely when you install the rims.

Unread 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #44
motherpuncher

Ok, I need new hubs and rotors on my 99. So am I understanding correctly, that as long as I order the same set together it doesn't matter which I order, they will work? And the calipers are going to fit regardless of which set I choose?
Thanks
motherpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #45
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So you don't confuse the counter guy, just order hubs and rotors for a 1998, or for a 2000. 1990 - 2001 Calipers will work with both.

Tags
1999 , brake rotor , cast rotor , composite rotor , d30 , dana 30 , high pinion , low pinion , unit bearing , unit hubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.