Any difference in hubs...? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any difference in hubs...?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #16
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

33x12.5, stock limited 6.5 bs. and thats all the money i had for it

jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just got done swapping out my hubs/rotors to the pre 89 style with tapered roller bearings on my 96. Works great
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod View Post
I just got done swapping out my hubs/rotors to the pre 89 style with tapered roller bearings on my 96. Works great

I'm glad someones finally done this!

Did you notice any changes (even subtle)? The tapered bearing should be much much more stable under torsional loads, which should (in theory) result in a more stable front end and less deflection.

99 chilipepper red XJ: Race car tow rig. Turbo project in the works.

Head of Core production - www.CortekSystems.com
Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
J_E_E_P_X_J
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Can you also judge by the look of the rotor? From the pic it seems like the composite rotor has a rounded edge at the lugs, where as the cast has a typical 90deg angle.

There are two pictures of rotors, the top picture is a composite rotor and the bottom picture is a cast rotor.

VS

i also noticed that they make a cast verstion of the composite
J_E_E_P_X_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
volaredon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

nevermind; I should have looked at what was written under the 2nd pic.....
volaredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
resident67
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I must have replacement parts in my 89 because it had ball bearings... so if i want to use 90 and up hubs what else would i need????
resident67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident67 View Post
.... to use 90 and up hubs what else would i need????
1990 or newer outer knuckles, calipers, and rotors.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
aquickmopar
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod View Post

I know this is a old Thread but I got a question. You swapped out the hub bearing for the Pre 89 style Tapered Bearings?

But isn't the Hub Bearings in the 90-99.5 that use the Composite Rotors have Tapered Bearings?

Because the Hub Bearings in the 99.5-01 use the Cast Rotors have Ball Bearings?

So if you had a 96 shouldn't they have already been Tapered Bearings?
aquickmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
TTro33

What the hell

I just went to replace my hubs with my newly ordered hubs from ebay, I ordered the hubs for cast rotors because I have cast rotors. I put the new hub on one side and noticed when I put the rotor back on it was scraping that flimsy thin metal half circle thing. Not only that but the hub I took off was a hub meant for composite. I had changed the bearings before and the rotors at different times and never was I asked composite or cast for either of these. So I looked at my door and realized that the jeep I always referred to as as a 99 to autozone clerks was in fact made in July 98. I looked at autozone.com and saw that they sell a cast rotor replacement for composite rotors. Maybe thats what I have? Is it just luck that when I purchased hubs they gave me composite and when I purchased rotors they gave me the cast rotors made to composite specs? What the hell is going on? Should I just go buy some new cast rotors for my cast rotor hubs even though my jeep was made for composite?
TTro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cast or composite rotors both function the same. Buy whatever type rotor or hub (or both) you need to make your repairs. The data tag on the firewall and your vehicle title have the correct model year designation for the vehicle, the date of manufacture seldom matters.

As noted, XJ D30 unit/bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable for all years 1990-2001.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
TTro33

Thanks about where the real date is, but my real question is, I now have two new cast spec hubs can I go buy some cast spec rotors and have it work even if my jeep originally came with composite rotors?
TTro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ D30 unit/bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable for all years 1990-2001.

Use whatever hub and rotor you need to make your repairs.

Unread 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
360Dusted

Hey sorry to bring up an old thread but I've run into a problem after swapping a '99 front axle into my '93 XJ, my old composite rotors don't fit but I don't want to go buy new ones because these have only 5000 miles on them and are the premium Raybestos slotted type... Is there any cheaper/easier solution besides changing the rotors or hubs?
360Dusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, sorry.

Unread 05-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #30
Uziel
1998 ZJ 

i'm going to change the hubs on my ZJ 5.9. Is this a good thing to switch to the newer hub type (with cast rotor) ?
Uziel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999 , brake rotor , cast rotor , composite rotor , d30 , dana 30 , high pinion , low pinion , unit bearing , unit hubs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.