Any difference in hubs...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any difference in hubs...?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any difference in hubs...?

Is there any physical difference in Hubs between the cast and composite rotor'd XJ's? I'm trying to buy new hubs for my 99, but I'm not sure if there is a difference. I'm pretty sure I just have cast rotors, but I'm not exactly sure how to tell.

TIA
Bryson

99 chilipepper red XJ: Race car tow rig. Turbo project in the works.

Head of Core production - www.CortekSystems.com
Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and matching disk brake rotor types were used during the years 1984-2001 on the XJ D30 axles. (XJ, MJ, TJ, and ZJ, axles can interchange most parts, so the 1999.5 cast/composite info may apply to all). Two different steering knuckle types were used during the years 1984-2001 on XJ D30 axles.

Unit Hub/Bearing Assemblies:

1) 1984 through 1989 - Original AMC hubs, ( Jeep Part Numbers 4723371, 5252725, 53000228, 53000234 )
use AMC brake rotors, AMC calipers, AMC steering knuckles, and AMC roller bearing hubs.
The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle.

2) 1990 through 1999.5 - Older Chrysler type unit hubs, ( Timken Part # 513084, Jeep Part Number 53007449 )
use Composite dimension brake rotors and Chrysler calipers and Chrysler steering knuckles.

3) 1999.5 through 2001 - New Chrysler type unit hubs, ( TIMKEN Part # HA597449 - Jeep Part Number 5016458 )
use Cast dimension brake rotors and Chrysler calipers and Chrysler steering knuckles.

Steering Knuckles:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept AMC calipers.

2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept Chrysler calipers.

Any XJ AMC or XJ Chrysler steering knuckle will fit on any XJ D30. They are all interchangeable but you have to compensate for the lack of the threaded adjuster in the bottom of the pre-1990 knuckle when you swap on the later ones by switching to the later upper ball joint that has the floating pin. There needs to be a mechanism for compensating for the exact precision of the tapered holes which is done with a threaded lower adjuster in the pre-1990 and a floating upper pin post 1990

Brake Calipers:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC Brake Calipers. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on AMC steering knuckles.
2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler Brake Calipers Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on Chrysler steering knuckles.

AMC and Chrysler calipers do not interchange, they must be mounted on the corresponding AMC or Chrysler steering knuckle.

Brake Rotors:

1) 1984 - 1989 - AMC Brake Rotors

2) 1984 - 1999.5 - Composite Brake Rotors

3) 1999.5 - 2001 - Cast Brake Rotors

Additional Info:

- XJ D30 unit/bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable for all years 1990-2001, and for HP vs. LP. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite. Or, just swap the hubs and rotors as a matched set. The calipers are exactly the same, cast vs. composite or HP vs. LP. The only D30 parts that will not interchange, HP vs. LP, are the ring and pinion gears. Any XJ AMC or XJ Chrysler steering knuckle will fit on any XJ D30.

- 2000 and 2001 XJ D30's are Low Pinion housings, just like the TJ Wranglers.

- Most (or perhaps all) XJ, MJ, TJ, and ZJ D-30 axle parts interchange.

- Cast vs. Composite rotors Identification and Measurement -

** You need to match the disk brake rotor type and measurements to the unit bearing/hub type and measurements currently on your XJ. **

Some cast iron replacement rotors are machined to composite rotor measurements. Therefore, you must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing.

Previous owners or a repair shop may have installed different type replacement parts. It is possible to have one old type and one new type unit hub.

If your hubs and rotors are not type matched, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

Lay your old rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor. Be aware that your rotors may have been replaced previously and may have a different physical appearance than described and pictured below. The physical measurements will be the same as noted.

Factory original Composite Rotors should have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together. Composite rotors have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the holes where the lug nut studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Cast iron replacement rotors can be machined to composite rotor dimensions, which is why you have to measure the parts you have and are purchasing. Composite rotors have an overall height of 3 3/16".

Cast rotors have a 90 degree angle edge at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal. Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut stud holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have an overall height of 3 1/16".

*** Parts store replacement rotors may have a different physical appearance than the example pictures or the rotors on your Jeep, but they must have similar measurements to the rotors currently on your D30 front axle.

Cast Iron replacement rotors can be machined to composite rotor measurements. Therefore, you cannot rely on appearance alone, you must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing. ***

If your hubs and rotors are not matched, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

If, after measuring your current rotors, you are still unsure of which type of rotor/bearing you have or if you suspect that a previous owner or a repair shop may have installed replacement parts, compare the Unit Hub Bearings to the pictures below.

Hub Type Identification -

- 1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the RIGHT of the picture uses the CAST ROTOR. The 1999.5 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs have the taller ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut. It is about 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs. See pictures below.

-------------------------------

- 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the LEFT of the picture uses the COMPOSITE ROTOR. The 1990 - 1999.5 unit bearing/hubs have the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut that is approximately 1/2 inch tall. See pictures below.

If your hubs and rotors are not matched, there will be interference between the two parts and the rims. The rim will be bound up by the interference and will not turn freely, and the Jeep will not move.
If this information has been helpful, please click on the "thumbs up" icon on the bottom right side of this section.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 07-16-2010 at 04:39 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Great info man, thanks.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can you also judge by the look of the rotor? From the pic it seems like the composite rotor has a rounded edge at the lugs, where as the cast has a typical 90deg angle.

There are two pictures of rotors, the top picture is a composite rotor and the bottom picture is a cast rotor.

VS

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 01-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim

Composites rotors will have an overall height of 3 3/16". Composite rotors will have a thin sheetmetal like appearance at the lug nut holes where the studs come through and measure .1/4 (.250) thick in this area.

Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16". Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut holes and measure 5/16 (.320) in this area.
Very good post, but where did you get the measurements of the mounting flange? Those differ from the info I have. I ran into this when I installed the Warn manual hubs that require cast rotors and not composite. Per Warn, the cast rotors have a .250" mounting flange. I remember that when I measured my cast rotors (2000 XJ) they measured .250"... And per Warn, the mounting flange of composite rotors measure .125".

Also just to add to your descriptions of cast and composite rotors, the cast is one-piece and composite is two-piece. The difference can be seen in the photos above, making the top ones composite, bottom cast.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Eric,
I was checking measurements on some spare parts and axles in my garage. They may be replacement parts which would explain the minor differences in the rotor thicknesses that I have vs the factory original rotors.

I have updated my original post and welcome any other corrections or additions.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 07-07-2007 at 08:24 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Mike94ZLT1

How messed up is it that I have 1 of each?
1937 Ford 5 Window Coupe 327 SBC, M-22 4 speed, etc..
Mike94ZLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
How messed up is it that I have 1 of each?
Hey, do I win. I was right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking back on this thread reminds me. If I would have known what I do now I would have gone with the 84-89 style hubs for the roller bearings, and matched em with the rotors. Oh well.

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Mike94ZLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Looking back on this thread reminds me. If I would have known what I do now I would have gone with the 84-89 style hubs for the roller bearings, and matched em with the rotors. Oh well.
Can I do that? Put 84-89 hubs and rotors on a 99?
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
Can I do that? Put 84-89 hubs and rotors on a 99?
I honestly havn't seen this done yet, but I've heard from a couple other members that it works without problem. The hub just a slightly different offset which is why it requires the matching rotor for the caliper to be in the right place.

Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

I remember me and smrtjustin sweating out his hub replacement (and u-joints) because he has aftermarket rotors and we really couldn't tell the difference. Lucky he ordered the right ones and we were all set. BTW, Rockauto has really great prices on Timken hubs - less than half the price of the dealer OEM ones.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Mike94ZLT1

Eh, nevermind... 84-89 hubs are more expensive, but the rotors are a little cheaper.
Unread 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

how much stronger are the roller bearing hubs, is it worth it to swap them out? i seem to go through hubs every 2 0r 3 months on my 99. thank god for the warranty
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmccall View Post
how much stronger are the roller bearing hubs, is it worth it to swap them out? i seem to go through hubs every 2 0r 3 months on my 99. thank god for the warranty
Stop buying junk unit bearings...Also what size tire and back spacing do you run ? It will make a huge difference in the life of the unit.

Tags
1999 , brake rotor , cast rotor , composite rotor , d30 , dana 30 , high pinion , low pinion , unit bearing , unit hubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.