Any difference between 97 4.0l block and older H.O. block? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Any difference between 97 4.0l block and older H.O. block?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
TheZaZ

Any difference between 97 4.0l block and older H.O. block?

I have a 97 cherokee and the block is cracked up front by the water pump. So ive started pulling it.

I got another high output 4.0l sitting in my garage and I just wanted to know if there are any differences between the blocks? The older block I have is a '90 I believe but it is a high output motor.

I am going to do a complete rebuild/stroker setup. I just needed to know if there are differences in those blocks?

I know they made changes for the 97 motor but I thought it was just the head/cam/exhaust that got the changes.

any help would be great!

TheZaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i believe the 96 and later blocks are stronger. but thats all i know
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If it's a 1990 block it's a renix block and if you a going to build a stroker that's the one you want, I think it has a stronger casting or more nickle or something like that and is considered a stronger/tougher compound I may be wrong and if so someone will correct me

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com

Last edited by cornbrizzle; 01-18-2010 at 03:53 PM..
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
TheZaZ

its definetly a high output motor. Has the intake/throttle body that the H.O. has. My uncle said he thought it was a 90 cherokee. Not sure since he was the one that pulled it out. Either way its a H.O.

Just dont want to start disassembling it until I know the differences.
TheZaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

they should be the same or pretty damn close from 91-01. Since you got the H.O. in your 90 you may have had a motor swap or gotten lucky and got an early H.O. However, I have also heard that the renix blocks were stronger, if you are interested, I'd look into that.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.