Antenna extension problem?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Antenna extension problem?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
MistahYebba

Antenna extension problem?!

The antenna extension wire on my '98 Cherokee has seem to have dissappeared! When I replaced the old antenna and unplugged the extension wire that plugs into the back of the stereo and travels through down into the passenger side kick panel, the wire seemed to finds its way back into the interior from which it traveled!

So how would I go about feeding it through again? It seems pretty tightly fed so I can't really push or pull on the wire from the stereo side to make it budge.

New antenna is freshly installed and there is no extension cord to plug it into :/

MistahYebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I seriously doubt that it really "disappeared". It's just snuggled into the rats nest of wiring inside your console. It can't have gone far - just feel around in there (carefully so you don't cause other problems). It's kind of a feel thing - think of a veterinarian giving a cow an exam with a shoulder-length glove on, and it won't seem so bad...
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah it'll deffinetly be thicker(gauge) so feel around,maybe use a hanger!
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, that antenna cable won't feel much like any of the other wiring in that area of the dash, so it shouldn't be all that hard to find. Better yet, get a really, really good flashlight (I use a 600 lumen bike light) to look down inside there, and you'll probably spot it.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
MistahYebba

There's almost no room for my hand, nevermind a flashlight, my head, and my hand. Is there something I can remove more than the kickpanel? The panel is the size of my hand. :/
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oops - sorry, I was picturing the radio end missing in the dash, not the extension end missing at the kick panel. Still, it's gotta be in there somewhere. I'm guessing it just pivoted down from where it used to be - the question is how do you extract it from there? I've never fiddled with that part of my XJ (knock on wood...) so can only wish you luck.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ya did you get it? Coat hanger with a loop? Probably work
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
MistahYebba

I haven't gotten it yet, sadly.

I got a new antenna and base so I had to feed the new antenna wire through the wheel-well and into the kick panel to plug it into the extension wire, but when I unplugged the old antenna base it that's when I lost the location of the extension wire :/

Maybe the 3rd time I look for it will be the charm
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well good luck from a drunk canadian randomly choking jeep forum after the bar.. I got lucky tonight... Sending some luck vibes your way..~~~~~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.