another locker question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > another locker question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

another locker question

im looking to get an aussie or power track no slip locker for my xj in the rear but a quick question i saw a video on how they work and it said when u turn the locker disengages but if ur wheeling and u start to turn does it release then too? please help my understand this alil more

96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
whiteys_red_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All locker function in a similar way. They are locked until you start to turn, then they unlock (disengage). Pavement or dirt it's all the same.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

"Lunchbox" style lockers (open/closed) like you are talking about are locked when torque is applied. If you've got a rear locker, for example, it is locked when you apply the throttle and unlocked when you let off. Going around a corner on the street while giving it gas will lock the rear locker and cause the tires to squeal or scrape. In the front, when in 2wd, there is no torque being applied and the locker remains unlocked. Around turns, you just hear a mild clicking noise.
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok toms87 I understand it better now
96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
whiteys_red_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I believe with most auto lockers, the outside axle is unlocked in a turn, gas on or not. If enough gas is applied in a turn, and the inside wheel looses traction, then the diff locks when the inside axle reaches the same rpm as the outside axle. The diff only unlocks (auto lockers) in a turn.....or at least that's the way the PowerTrax No-Slip performs.....and it doesn't make a clicking/ratcheting noise in a turn. Had 4 of 'em in various vehicles, almost as invisible as a limited slip in a DD.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
blingII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Powertrax locks (both wheels pull) whenEVER torque is applied. I have them in two XJ's.
blingII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have front and rear Aussie lockers in 2 vehicles and when you give it gas in 4WD, they are locked, turning or not. In 2WD only the rear locks when you're on the throttle. That's why debates pop up sometimes about driving and steering in snow with a front auto locker.
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
bdodge
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
I believe with most auto lockers, the outside axle is unlocked in a turn, gas on or not. If enough gas is applied in a turn, and the inside wheel looses traction, then the diff locks when the inside axle reaches the same rpm as the outside axle. The diff only unlocks (auto lockers) in a turn.....or at least that's the way the PowerTrax No-Slip performs.....and it doesn't make a clicking/ratcheting noise in a turn. Had 4 of 'em in various vehicles, almost as invisible as a limited slip in a DD.
97' Cherokee sport 2 DR / 4.0 Power Tech, 5 spd MAN, Command trac / Dana M30/181MM front axel, Corporate 8.25 rear axel / 6.5" Bastard lift, 31X10.5 Daytona futura's on Cragar 15X8 soft 8's, Logans Metals Front winch bumper, Flowmaster super 44, Magnoflow high flow cat
bdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When going straight, or both wheels turning same speed, why why would a auto locker unlock, gas on or gas off?
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am not familiar with Powertrax lockers but I can tell you that Aussies have springs inside that push the locker to the open position. With even just a small amount of torque, the springs are compressed and the locker shuts to the closed position. That's as simple as it gets.

If I go around a turn, on or off road, heavy on the throttle, the tires will squeal and scrape.

If I coast through a turn with no throttle, the locker pops to the open position, clicks a little, and locks once I get on the gas. The force from the axle shafts turning at different speeds overrides what little/no force is coming from the drivetrain.

I just read the FAQs on their (Aussie) website and they are helpful but somewhat misleading.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm basing this information from a few years of daily driving a vehicle with front and rear aussie lockers, and having them front and rear in my Jeep.
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
I am not familiar with Powertrax lockers but I can tell you that Aussies have springs inside that push the locker to the open position. With even just a small amount of torque, the springs are compressed and the locker shuts to the closed position. That's as simple as it gets.

If I go around a turn, on or off road, heavy on the throttle, the tires will squeal and scrape.

If I coast through a turn with no throttle, the locker pops to the open position, clicks a little, and locks once I get on the gas. The force from the axle shafts turning at different speeds overrides what little/no force is coming from the drivetrain.

I just read the FAQs on their (Aussie) website and they are helpful but somewhat misleading.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm basing this information from a few years of daily driving a vehicle with front and rear aussie lockers, and having them front and rear in my Jeep.

Wouldn't the springs be pushing the 2 locker halves outward to the "locked" position (teeth engaged in the pic), not the "open" position (teeth disengaged)?

When the springs are compressed, wouldn't one side (outside axle in a turn) of the locker "open" (teeth disengage to allow differentiation), in a turn?

If the locker/axle doesn't need to "differentiate", going straight gas off, why would it unlock?

PowerTrax No-Slip don't ratchet/click/make noise in a turn, maybe it doesn't dis-engage when u lift the pedal......why would it need too, when going straight?
021.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Wouldn't the springs be pushing the 2 locker halves outward to the "locked" position (teeth engaged in the pic), not the "open" position (teeth disengaged)?

When the springs are compressed, wouldn't one side (outside axle in a turn) of the locker "open" (teeth disengage to allow differentiation), in a turn?

If the locker/axle doesn't need to "differentiate", going straight gas off, why would it unlock?

PowerTrax No-Slip don't ratchet/click/make noise in a turn, maybe it doesn't dis-engage when u lift the pedal......why would it need too, when going straight?
Maybe I got it backwards on the spring operation (It has been over a year since the Jeep installation so I don't remember exactly what they look like) but the actual driving experience with the locker is exactly what happens for me. Like I said, I don't have any experience with the Powertrax No Slip. The locker also would not need to unlock when going straight, and maybe it doesn't. It probably works with 2 forces - power from the drivetrain vs power from the axleshafts wanting to move at different speeds. Whichever one generates more power/force is the one that wins (maybe?) I wish I could attach a video camera to my axles or something so I can show you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.