Another idea for going doorless in a 97+ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Another idea for going doorless in a 97+

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Another idea for going doorless in a 97+

I was reading Sharpie's thread about going doorless in a 97+ here. When I got to thinking "why can't we just cut the bottom on the hinge off like on the earlier models, so that going doorless on a 97+ is a one man job?", so I went outside and looked at the hinges on my 99 and my 88. It looks like the hinge on the 88 sticks out from the body a little further than on the 99 which allows the 88's door to be pulled straight up. The 99's door, however interfers with the A-pillar just enough so that you can't pull it straight up and off.

After coming to this realization, I thought maybe a "short" hinge pin on the top hinge and a "full length" hinge pin on the bottom hinge will allow me to pull my doors straight off and on by myself. I decided to try it, and this is what I came up with:

Remember, modifying your hinges will never allow you to have factory hinges again without buying brand new ones and welding them on.

First, I took the doors off following Sharpie's instructions, making sure to undo the wiring behind the kick panel and also to take out the hinge pins.

This is what the the part of the hinge thats left on the Jeep should look like:

I then unbolted the hinge from the door (remember to mark where they were bolted, this will make door alignment much easier). After this, I cut the bottom of the hinge off so that the hinge looked like this:

The extra pieces from the hinge that you won't need anymore should look something like this:

Next, I took some 4" long 5/16" bolts and cut them down to act as new hinge pins. The bottom hinge pin needs to be long enough to go through the entire hinge. The top hinge pin only needs to be about to the blue line:

After I cut the bolts, I welded them to what is left of the hinge. This is the bottom hinge, remember the top one will need to be shorter (Please ignore the crap looking welds):

All thats left now is to bolt the hinges back onto the door and slide the door back onto the Jeep. You may need to do a little bit of aligning, but take your time, it will be worth it to have nicely sealed doors.

After some aligning, I got my door to have almost factory gaps and sealed perfectly:

Back doors:
The back doors are done using the same method as the front. However, they are really easy to do compared to the fronts though do to the extra room you have to work with (no fender right there by the door). Also, if you don't have power windows or locks there are no wires to disconnect for the back doors

The last step is to take your doors back off, enjoy how easy it is, and then go drive around and watch the crazy looks you get.

Also, for anyone who is interested the weights for the doors on a non-power 4 door are:

68 lbs/ea for the front doors
42 lbs/ea for the rear doors

This is using an old bathroom scale, so it may be a little off, but should be in the ballpark atleast.

Last edited by fast64; 08-03-2007 at 08:32 AM..
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

interesting design. I may actually try this, only because I hate having to remove four pins every time.

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

that looks like a pretty good idea, how does the door lign up with the door lock? does it sag at all?

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
that looks like a pretty good idea, how does the door lign up with the door lock? does it sag at all?

-Kyle
I meant to post this info, but forgot to. When I open the door, I can feel it drop down a tiny bit, but its not enough so that the striker and latch don't line up anymore. Its such a small amount that I don't have to lift the door up to close it (it closes just like normal).

And thanks for the inspiration Sharpie

EDIT: Kyle, I was just out finishing up the front passenger door, when I noticed that the holes in the Jeep side of the hinge are bigger than the 5/16" bolt. I bet if you drilled out the door side of the hinge to accept a 3/8" bolt, you would get a nice, snug fit and alleviate the sagging completely.

Last edited by fast64; 07-31-2007 at 12:12 PM..
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
jeepjack1995
1995 XJ Cherokee 

gotta keep this in mind its a good idea.
jeepjack1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Prosonic
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have to say I was a little sceptical about the doorless thing on 97+, but after seeing how nice this one went, I'll definately be considering it.
Props to Sharpie and Fast64 on this one.
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
sailgclass
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice job. I have thought about this, but came to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to have another load bearing connection at the hinges because of how significantly smaller the 97+ hinges are compared to -96. If it works for you though that's great and I may switch over my current 4 pin setup to that.

Also, the holes on the jeep side of the hinge are indeed larger that 5/16" but they have small sheaths in them that hold 5/16" quite nicely. I took them out on one door, and it has had alignment issues ever since but the other door where i left them faired much better.

but who cares about alignment of doors, i just don't put them on anymore!
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

hey fast 64 do you think we could get a close up pic of how the new hindges look mounted.

-Kyle
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
hey fast 64 do you think we could get a close up pic of how the new hindges look mounted.

-Kyle
I'm on it.
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here ya go. This is the passenger side door.

Top hinge:

Bottom hinge:
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

whats stopping the door from just falling to the floor with the bottom of the pins being open?

-Kyle
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What do you mean?
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
What do you mean?
unless those picks are upside down...

but the bottom of the hindge is cut off so what is supporting the doors weight?

-Kyle
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #14
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All of the weight is on the top part of the door-side of the hinge. The door is on the right side of the picture and the Jeep is on the left.
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

oh wow, i guess i need some coffee. now it makes perfect sence, it seemed like everything was backwards so i guess it was and i was looking at it wrong.

-Kyle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.