Another high output alternator quesrion.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Another high output alternator quesrion....

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
jeepster383

Is you're current battery good? Go have it tested. Maybe you can buy a smaller puly for you're current altanator? A Altanators full output is around 2000 rpms. AGM battery's have less resistance and charge up faster. Biger battery's are not allways beter if you're altanator Can't keep them charged fully. Battery's last longer when kept fully charged. Just some stuff to keep in mind.

jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks again to everyone for their responses!
You all have given me great starting points and things to think about!
I just know that there is a load of info on this topic and none of it is necessarily accurate or definitive.
I will look into all of your suggestions though.

Thanks again!
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefXJ View Post
Thanks again to everyone for their responses!
You all have given me great starting points and things to think about!
I just know that there is a load of info on this topic and none of it is necessarily accurate or definitive.
I will look into all of your suggestions though.

Thanks again!
Nothing is definitive with mods, especially do it yourself mods.

There are always several wrong ways and usually a few right ways to choose from.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
Is you're current battery good? Go have it tested. Maybe you can buy a smaller puly for you're current altanator? A Altanators full output is around 2000 rpms. AGM battery's have less resistance and charge up faster. Biger battery's are not allways beter if you're altanator Can't keep them charged fully. Battery's last longer when kept fully charged. Just some stuff to keep in mind.
Great idea on smaller alternator pully. Would that be OK when driving on freeway? Would it over rev alternator on freeway and cause premature wear?

What is an AGM battery?
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
jeepster383

Not to sure on the altanator but yes might wear out faster but how much faster ? Idk. AGM battery- absorbed glass Matt. They hold there electrolyte in a moistened fiberglass matting instead of a gel battery. AGM battery's are also not easily damaged due to vibrations or impact. They have short recharging times and low internal resistance wich will increase output. I believe optima is an AGM batery. They have seperators in them that act as sponges to absorb acid. So less likely of spillage.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not to sure on the altanator but yes might wear out faster but how much faster ? Idk. AGM battery- absorbed glass Matt. They hold there electrolyte in a moistened fiberglass matting instead of a gel battery. AGM battery's are also not easily damaged due to vibrations or impact. They have short recharging times and low internal resistance wich will increase output. I believe optima is an AGM batery. They have seperators in them that act as sponges to absorb acid. So less likely of spillage.
I know what absorbed glass matt batteries are, but I didn't know what AGM meant.

The Sears Diehard Platinum is king of absorbed glass matt batteries, IMO.

It is made by Odessy for Sears. Same battery as an Odessey, but Sears sells at much less cost. This is a super duty cold craking amps battery and a super long running deep cycle battery in one, and at a good price with a 4 year warranty.

And the Group 65 cost same as the stock size Group 34. So G65 bigger for same money.

I suppose it might be debateable if bigger battery is better for running a ton of lights, but bigger certainly is better for many things a battery must do.

A Ford Super Duty normally uses two Group 65, but my cousin runs his Super Duty on one G65 Diehard Platinum ecause he has money shortage. He did that all Winter for 2 years and it always started easily. Though it never gets colder than 15F here. Imagine having that battery in your XJ.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
jeepster383

If you're batt is in okay condition I would just consentrate on the altanator.
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you're batt is in okay condition I would just consentrate on the altanator.
Agreed. But when he needs a battery, why not go for the gusto? It's not much more money than a stock battery.
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

Agreed. But when he needs a battery, why not go for the gusto? It's not much more money than a stock battery.
Depends if he upgrades the alt or not if he upgrades the alt then yes mise we'll get the bigger one.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So if I do get a batt before an alternator it won't hurt the charging system to charge that big a$$ batt with the stock alternator?
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not at all, a group 65 isn't much bigger than a group 34, and honestly if you get a good group 34 you don't need a 65, you aren't going to get any more CCA out of a 65, the best we sell in both is 850CCA. I've got an Optima group 34 marine (blue top), and 2ga welding wire cables, I eventually plan on swapping a 136amp alternator(or 150 if I can find one) when I get enough reason to. Even with my power windows and locks, upgraded headlight harness, a modest stereo, and a few lights I should still have plenty of power.
image.jpg  

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
jeepster383

It wnt hurt the charging system but on short trips it will not keep the batt fully charged and battery's like a full charge to last long. . But also depends on how much bigger you go.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Not at all, a group 65 isn't much bigger than a group 34, and honestly if you get a good group 34 you don't need a 65, you aren't going to get any more CCA out of a 65, the best we sell in both is 850CCA. I've got an Optima group 34 marine (blue top), and 2ga welding wire cables, I eventually plan on swapping a 136amp alternator(or 150 if I can find one) when I get enough reason to. Even with my power windows and locks, upgraded headlight harness, a modest stereo, and a few lights I should still have plenty of power.
I'm looking at the extra room in your engine compartment and I'm envious! I have wires and vac lines and other crap in all of those empty spaces you have!
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

I am running a 140A CS-130D Alternator. Its max output was bench tested at 143.4A according to Carquest's Alternator bench test. Alternator was custom built for me by a shop in Kansas. Cost me $106 shipped. :-) New Brushes, New Regulator, New Stator, New Bearings. It was a huge bump from my 25A old *** GM Alternator so it was worth it for me. (yes, Carquest benched it and it topped out at 25A cold with BRAND NEW brushes)

As for the battery, Deka Intimidator Extreme AGM. 1,013CA, 885CCA. I had to get a warranty replacement though at 2 years because my first one went bad. It has a 4 year free replacement. After that, 4 years pro-rated. Cost of the battery- $139 with the corporate discount. lol.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A group 65 will fit an XJ with only a little grinding to battery tray.

A Sears Diehard Platinum G65 has 930 CCA. This is the best.

A SDP G65 defineately has more CCA than a SDP G34.

And the SDP 34 has more CCA than any other brand of G34.

SDP is also king of deep cycle reserve time.

SDP beats a Red, Yellow, and Blue Top.

It is just fine to put G65 size battery in an XJ with stock alternator. I never heard of a battery being to big. It comes with a 4 year warranty. So no worries.

I never heard of a big battery not getting fully charged. It is a glass matt battery and will hold its charge quite well.

G65 costs same (at Sears) as a G34. So extra power for same cost.

But if for some reason you decide to get G34, get the Sears Diehard Platinum G34 because it is the best G34.

SDP G65 specs http://m.sears.com/sears_ProductDetails.jsp

SDP G34 specs http://m.sears.com/sears_ProductDetails.jsp

Compare specs to Optima. SDP eats Optima's lunch at same or similar cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.