Another brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Another brake issue

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
meiguy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Another brake issue

While applying brakes I get a constant knocking sound. The speed of the knocking is relative to how fast I'm slowing down. The sound use to be spuratic but happens all the time now. It's actually starting to get pretty loud and I can feel a vibration in the brake pedal after each knock as well. The jeep is new to me and not sure when the last time the brakes have been worked on. Seems to get worse the more weight in the jeep.

Also, sometimes on the first drive of the day the brakes seem to grab for a split second and then release. My driveway is sloped pretty good which is where it usually happens. Doesn't happen ever time, mostly on the first drive.

What do you guys think. Fixable or should I just turn up the radio.

meiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you can feel it in the brake pedal I would lean towards a warped rotor.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Very common for the rear brakes on these vehicles to be (sticky) when you first drive off.And I agree on rotor warpage
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd pull the wheels and look for loose brake pads or even a cracked friction pad, check the rear shoes for broken self-adjusting cable, crack friction pad, broken retaining spring or nail and if the hardware looks in good shape, spray eveything off with some brake cleaner, either have the rotors resurfaced or replace them.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.