Another axle swap/front 4-link - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Another axle swap/front 4-link

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
that1guy123
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Another axle swap/front 4-link

I have an 87 XJ that is starting to fall apart. A while ago I picked up a D44 and D60 that came out of an 87 Chevy. Obviously, I want these under my Jeep along with a 6" - 7.5" lift. Pretend that money isn't an issue and neither is fabrication.

I know I can buy coil buckets and weld them on the front axle and use lift springs, but I don't want my articulation limited by a track bar. A triangulated 4-link is what I would like to do. The lower control arms will be easy, but I don't know where to start with the upper control arms. Can anyone provide examples or describe how it should be set up?

My second question is about the rear leaf springs. Can I use XJ lift springs and risk putting new mounts on the D60, or would it be worth the extra hour and dollar to 4-link the rear as well? How do I know what kind of u-joint to use between the axle and driveshaft?

I will reinforce the unibody and add a 4.8 stroker, and later on a Dodge NV4500 along with 4.88 gears and Detroit locker in the rear. I just want to upgrade the stuff that's breaking before I go off to San Diego for the Marine Corps.

Any links/references/advice would help. Thank you!

that1guy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

they'd need to be triangulated, preferably double triangulated. you'll need more than 6" of lift to clear the motor with the upper arms like that. you'll also need to invest in full hydraulic steering. at this point you now have a trail rig only.

a good double shear track bar doesn't limit flex enough to worry about on a full bodied xj, you run out of shock travel or bind up the steering or drive shaft joints way before you bind the track bar up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You won't be able to triangulate the front to ditch the track bar. Not enough room in the front to do so.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
that1guy123
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Full hydro, or would assisted be better? Is it very common for full hydro to fail? That's the only thing I would be worried about. What are the minimal lengths and angle between the control arms to get rid of the track bar, so what I'm asking is: why isn't there enough room?
that1guy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Full hydro is the easiest option when doing a flexy 4 link setup and will reduce bump steer. triangulated 4 link will have a vertical movement path with a small front/rear arc due to the links.

the current setup, parallel 4 link with panhard, not only has a front/rear arc but side to side due to the panhard. this lets you use th efactory style steering with little bump steer.

while Hydro is the Most common and easiest, it is not the only solution. take more time and fab, but you can run manual steering with 4 link and eliminate most bump steer. just gotta get creative.

otherwise. are you going for single or double triangulated? single maybe be easier if you triangulate only the lowers, double would be hard due to the oil pan and short wheel base of the XJ.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

are you set on trying to get rid of the front track bar? a properly set up front 3link w/ panhard with flex more than you will need
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.