Angry Cherokee Wont Behave..start and die every 30 min! wont start then run 30 later! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Angry Cherokee Wont Behave..start and die every 30 min! wont start then run 30 later!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
bcameron1974

Angry Cherokee Wont Behave..start and die every 30 min! wont start then run 30 later!

Pissed of Jeep!!! LoL 1995 4.0 automatic 4x4 160k miles
Thing will start run for while then die like 15-35 min later! Try to start and starter will just crank!
no fire..
so put new crankcase sensor..and same thing ..it has new fuel pump and filter also..
Been doin this for while and running out of options.
I bought a Ignition Coil yesterday. First thing put it in...fired up ran for half hour and died..Tried to start didnt work! Tinkered with for while put some starting fluid in it and act liked it wanted to start..Put more gas in nothing thought maybe the gauge was wrong..Could hear the fuel pump kick on also..hit it with hammer..
Weird thing is I figured the ignition coil was good the old one so hooked it back up and it fired up...its got me stumped..I know it will die again because its same situation...any ideas? I even tried changin the fuel pump relay by switching the relay with the ac cluth relay...

my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-sahara-rebuild-thread-1990-a-784008/1990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
bcameron1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would test for spark immediately after it shuts off, if no spark I would suspect the camshaft position sensor.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
bcameron1974

i heard that it controls the fuel injectors and not the spark..it seems like they switch back n forth with fuel and spark issues when hot...the one on the bellhousing has been changed and the ignition coil wasnt the problem either...im assuming its the distr sensor camshaft..aka pickup coil? what u all think..im actually fixing this for a freind ...i have a wrangler 4.2 his is 4.0cherokee..
i tried testing spark..i might not of had a good source but seemed liek it didnt spark..but later it would fire..then no fuel... its retarded...
my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840081990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
bcameron1974

anothe wierd thing is sometimes..no clicky when turning key..or start..but still dont explain the dieing when warm... any help
been reading about a nss what this?
my build thread.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840081990 YJ 4.2 nuttered-mc2150-team rush-4 inch RC-1.5''-Shackles-1 1/2''-15x10 American Racing Atlas Wheels-33x15x12.50 Goodyear A/T-Hella Offroad Winshield Lights-Black Met/Gold Paint -Custom Gold Decals
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
bcameron1974

gauges jump too rpms and mph when hittin gas they dance
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
justanotherjpr

Check the ground strap at the back of the head
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
bcameron1974

ok >>>update
I started jeep today and waited 45 min at idle for it too die. After it died and was warm I immediately tried swapping a few of the relays..and its wasnt the problem..So after that I installed the pickup coil and it started immediately...Im thinking or hoping thats it...it only took 5 minutes if that too hook up and had no time to cool down...what you all think? rather not drive it till I got someone that can follow..
I also did notice that i did play with that strap ground while it was running and after playing with it it jumped the rpms...it used to do that all the time..Ill prob clean that up!
So do you all think that the pick up was the problem? It also had a little bit of a miss at low rpms also b4..i
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
justanotherjpr

overheating igniton module?
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
bcameron1974

its not overheating...i was mentioning I think it might be fixed..havent had time to drive it...I bought the pickup coil..and at first started jeep and it ran for 45min then died as usual. After it died I immediately hooked up the new part..(pickup coil) its started as soon as i put part in. Before installing after it died it would have to cool down before restarting. After part it started first time after stalling! What u all think? I have this up for sale and dont wanna have anyone stranded if it does it agian! Sounds like it fixed it tho?
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
justanotherjpr

Overheating ignition module is different than overheating engine. The pickup coil should be changing the ignition timing based on RPM, but I suppose if it was bad it could short your motor out. Does it stall now?
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked for spark with a spare plug when it dies? I ask just in case it is fuel related, and the cooldown is enough to make things happy. A friends 91 had a bad fuel pressure regulator that behaved the same...
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.