AM radio static noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AM radio static noise

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
mollydodger
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

AM radio static noise

Ok I know this is weird BUT... my factory radio has a lot of static whenever I am around overhead power lines. The noise becomes less noticable when I apply my brakes. Is this a grounding problem? Thanks for all replies!

mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
JWELK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just on AM correct? It isn't the radio or your car, it is the power lines. Many utilities read the meters remotely, they send signals via the powerlines to read meters (smart meters) and control functions at various sub stations. That is the source of your problem. The FCC is aware of it, Amateur Radio Operators have complained about it to no avail. The FCC response is to "live with it".
However, there is a way to get the attention of the FCC, contact your favorite AM station, ask for the station engineer and explain the issue. AM radio stations survive on clear signals, they pay for their licenses, when they complain, they WILL be listened too.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK View Post
Just on AM correct?
I don't think anyone under 80 years old listens to AM radio.
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
mollydodger
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

AM radio

I am under 80, 60 to be exact, and listen to AM for St. Louis Cardinals ( the best team in the majors at the moment) games since they have the best play by play coverage. For some reason I felt compelled to respond to your apparent swipe....probably because your statement conjured up a picture of a 16 year old who has never experienced the finer things in life...like AM radio, black rotary dial phones and TV sets that require you to get up to change stations (your choice of ABC, CBS or NBC). Don't insult those of us with knowledge and experience. If you would like to add something helpful regarding my issue please do so.
mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollydodger View Post
I am under 80, 60 to be exact, and listen to AM for St. Louis Cardinals ( the best team in the majors at the moment) games since they have the best play by play coverage. For some reason I felt compelled to respond to your apparent swipe....probably because your statement conjured up a picture of a 16 year old who has never experienced the finer things in life...like AM radio, black rotary dial phones and TV sets that require you to get up to change stations (your choice of ABC, CBS or NBC). Don't insult those of us with knowledge and experience. If you would like to add something helpful regarding my issue please do so.
I'm 69 and all I listen to are AM stations - except the Detroit Tigers (and Red Wings) on 97.1 FM.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
CoyoteHunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I just turned 30 and for the past few years I'd listed to "Coast to Coast" with George Noory. It came on @ 1am and went til 5am. I fish for walleyes and hunt coyotes @ night so I'd listen to it in the truck. It was pretty cool. It consisted of some strange/wierd topics like aliens, bigfoot, shadow people, anomalies, oddities, Etc. He is often on the Ancient Aliens show on the history channel.
I'm not sure about your stock radio. I bought mine with an aftermarket head unit.
CoyoteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Static is a *feature* of AM radio (I refer you to the Steely Dan song "FM (No static at all)")
Power lines can give off RFI (Radio Frequency INTERFERENCE). They literally broadcast noise which overpowers your radio.
There isn't much you can do about it...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You may want to check the bonding strap that goes from the firewall to the left rear cylinder head bolt. This bonding strap is intended to be a radio interferance suppressor. The following pics are of my bonding strap. My connection at the firewall was pretty corroded. The connection at the cylinder head was okay.

After removing the corrosion from the firewall and the strap ring connector I installed a stainless steel bolt and washer.

Rusty firewall bolt:

Rusty ring terminal and firewall:

New stainless steel bolt:

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
JWELK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good Golly Ms Molly: ( I couldn't let that go withourt a comment) You really opened one up. Some good responses, unfortunately they don't answer your question.
In general, I would agree with Ken above. He points out a valid issue, that should be addressed. However, if that were the main issue you would have static all the time. Your question stated it was just near power lines.

Jim W
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Turn your stereo to FM or change your diaper.
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good Golly Ms Molly: ( I couldn't let that go withourt a comment) You really opened one up. Some good responses, unfortunately they don't answer your question.
In general, I would agree with Ken above. He points out a valid issue, that should be addressed. However, if that were the main issue you would have static all the time. Your question stated it was just near power lines.

Jim W
Are you related to Lawrence Welk (for the geezers)?I watch beta tapes,have an 8 track tape player,a dial up phone,and my record player needle skips.
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
JWELK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If that were true, I wouldn't be on this forum, I would own it.
I haven't quite reached geezer status yet, but will shortly.

Jim
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is the best thread I have read today!!!
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Jim W
He also said: "The noise becomes less noticable when I apply my brakes. Is this a grounding problem?"

Unread 06-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
CoyoteHunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had to replace that very ground 2 weeks ago. I touched it and it literally crumbled. Stalled 6-7 times on the way to work and the check engine light came on. I chuggled it 2 miles to autozone. They scanned it and it was throwing a P1391code. I replaced the wire on the spot. The 99xj started and ran fine. Engine light went out on my way home. Oh how relieved I was!!!
I know that doesn't really apply to the problem at hand, but I just wanted to emphasize the importance of that ground connection.
CoyoteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.