always blowing fuses in 99 xj please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > always blowing fuses in 99 xj please help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
weegie22
1999 XJ Cherokee 

always blowing fuses in 99 xj please help

I have a big problem the other night i got in my 99 xj and my dash lights and and my tail lights wouldnt turn on and the past few weeks i have been blowing fuses left and right any help would be appreciated, both ground cables seem to be fine.

Unread 06-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Multiple blown fuses usually indicates a failed part or a short circuit on a hot wire, not a ground.

What fuse keeps blowing ? Whatever is on that circuit is suspect and needs to be inspected or tested. The dash light not turning on gives you a good clue. A wire that has worn or cut insulation will also blow a fuse.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-02-2009 at 08:16 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

definitely a chaffed wire some where, tracing bad wires is some times a long boring process but at a repair shop it can be costely even with testing equipment.
Does it blow as soon as you put the fuse in? or while driving? If it blows right away look under the dash first, if it happens while driving check the wire run going towards the back end.
Do not just throw in a bigger fuse that can cause a fire, take the time to find the wire issue. Since it is wiring it could be in a number of spots to hard to say where to exactly look.
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I spent 6 hours poking around trying to figure out where I had a short. Use a multimeter checking for resistance, or with a connection feature if it has one. With the power off, connect multimeter to the body and then touch the other lead to different suspect hot (but not when hot) wires. If you have a connection, then that wire is grounded and that is probably your short.

Thats how i found the wire i had a short in. I never ended up finding the actual short, and ended up running my own new wire. Good luck.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.