finally some real progress! got the lift on and things are looking pretty good, so here are the pics i know you're all dying to see (that was a joke since i'm sure no one is following this build besides me
)...anyway, here are some recent pics. i did a cut and fold on the rear quarters a while back. im not a huge fan of that look, but my rear quarters were super rusty when i removed my bumper caps. it turned out alright and i am going to put some bedliner on the bottoms of them when i have some more free time...it did make getting to the shackle bolts a breeze though!
since i was needing my springs to be around 3.5-4" i picked up these tj coils on ebay for 70 bucks plus shipping! they are tj 4.5" so i'm hoping they will be just about right for what i need.
now all i needed was a track bar, so i started my lift and put an iro trackbar on order...i went with the bigger of the two since my minimum net lift was going to be 3.5" which i believe the bar is for 3.5"-8"...so due to a lot of rain it was hard to get things done fast, but it gave me time to do other projects. i rebuilt this driveshaft that a buddy of mine gave me with some spicer 1310 u joints that i picked up for $6.50 each! it was a sweet score
here is where i started out front:
and the rear:
here's a recap of what i put on:
31" adventuro MT's found on CL
cragar soft 8's 4" BS (junkyard find)
RE 4.5" TJ front coils (ebay)
RE superflex adjustable UCAs (forum classifieds)
RE superflex LCAs from CL
WJ swaybar links (junkyard find)
Sway bar link brackets (junkyard find)
clevis pin& tractor hitchpin's (tractor supply)
Energy suspension poly bushings (forum classifieds)
black diamond 3-4" lift shocks (forum classifieds)
rear BPE's (forum classifieds)
s10 bastard pack (junkyard find)
mj shackle (forum classifieds)
IRO trackbar...purchased new
every thing came off...well...with difficulty. but it did come off. i had to wrench the front leaf spring bolts off as far as i could, then cut them on both sides with a sawzall since the bolt was frozen in the bushing sleeve. i mistakenly cut one bolt head off too short and had to jb weld a screwdriver to it to twist it out. i tried notching it and turning it out, but the threads wouldn't grab so i needed some pressure to get it out. this was my other casualty:
the only other tricky spot was getting the uca bolts off that are in the frame rail...one of the nuts on the back side stripped so i had to grind it out and punch it out with a hammer and a punch...luckily it wasn't frozen into the sleeve. it was pretty tight and it was a pita to get any leverage there with the oil pan right in the way.
here is the front waiting for the trackbar
my home made discos work great...in the pic the top is a bolt, but i actually found a grade 8 clevis pin that was long enough that fits easily in the top hole
and the tractor pin is on the bottom....i had to drill out the mounting hole, but that wasn't too bad.
for the back...i took the leafs apart and took them to a truck shop to have the bushings pressed out..i did all of the other bushings my self...here are the bushings i replaced:
Leaf spring, both sides
axle side uca bushings
here are the leaves with the eyes pressed out ready to be sanded and painted
here is the shackle angle i ended up with...this is with the xj main leaf...s10 main, s10 second and s10 3rd...no over load. i chose the mj shackle because it gives a little dog leg without a lot of lift. here is the pic:
i also bought leaf spring insulator pads for 3 bucks each and put them in the leafs that had holes in them already...pretty flexy and quiet
and here is the finished product...4"+ in front 4" in the back...it looks a little funky in the pic because our driveway slopes down, but there will be more pics to come! it actually sits pretty level when the ground underneath it is level. i judge that by the body lines and the roof, since the rear fender sits 1/2" lower from the factory
initial impressions...it handles pretty well. no DW thanks to the IRO trackbar. there are very minor drive line vibes, but i have a HNT SYE on the way. in fact, i'm pretty amazed at the lack of vibes, but i'm going to install the sye in case i ever do go up to 5.5" the tires i bought are loud...TOO loud...i'm going to try to trade them for something else. i also think that even though things are pretty level, the front springs feel a little stiff...i'm not sure what the difference would be between tj 4.5's and xj 3.5's, but im going to do some research...