Alternator... reman or new - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Alternator... reman or new

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alternator... reman or new

I'm pretty sure my loud whistle is my alternator, since it changes pitch when electrical accessories are turned on. I just helped my buddy put a reman'd alt from autozone in his Ford Ranger and it seemed pretty decent. Anyone have input on a good alternator to go with? I'm not looking for a 400 dollar mean green alternator, just a stock one.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
severous01

i used duralast. and because i was always in the mud it had a lifetime warranty. i abused the mess outta that warranty

i'd suggest going with it. specially if you off-road any at all. one submersion or a ton of mud under the hood will wipe it out...believe me i did it a lot. of course i had water over my headlights several times. and the mud i was in was like brown water...so it got everywhere.
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If your in mud pits a lot go with a remaned one with a lifetime warentty.

Its drilled pretty hard on JF to not buy remand but if you abuse it with mud its going to die anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

I use these guys for my alternators. http://alterstart.net/
Sometimes a whine or low whistle is normal depending on the demand the alternator has on it.
However if your belt is not tight the heat that builds up from the belt slipping goes directly to the bearings which will evaporate the grease, the noise you hear is eventual bearing/alternator failure.
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1084 View Post
I use these guys for my alternators. http://alterstart.net/
Sometimes a whine or low whistle is normal depending on the demand the alternator has on it.
However if your belt is not tight the heat that builds up from the belt slipping goes directly to the bearings which will evaporate the grease, the noise you hear is eventual bearing/alternator failure.
I put a new belt on and noticed the other one was pretty loose. It slipped sometimes when first started during wet. Never squealed but my A/C compressor also never worked and the only way I knew it was slipping was the alternator didn't charge for a couple seconds. I don't do mud very much, but I'm thinking the lifetime warranty is a good idea. The cheaper new alternators only have a 2 year warranty. I'm thinking the bearings are done on mine since the whistle can be heard inside my house when the jeep is first started outside.

Build Thread:
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I agree--remanufactured w/lifetime warranty.

Michael
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yuo your just gunna ruin it anyway, or just to be cool get a mean green alt

DO NOT DO WORK WITH DRAKEN OFFROAD IN NY!!!
(also known as dragons garage in Oneonta NY)
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I'll probably go with the Duralast w/ lifetime warranty.

Build Thread:
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not big on reman. parts in general, but I do consider them for alternators, because of the big price difference.

But here is another option to consider. Have it rebuilt locally. There are a lot of shops (some very small) that deal with these repairs.

We have a small one man shop in my town that rebuilds starters and alternators for a song. A GREAT option.

Snoop around to see if you can find a shop that offers this, and get a quote.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
I'm not big on reman. parts in general, but I do consider them for alternators, because of the big price difference.

But here is another option to consider. Have it rebuilt locally. There are a lot of shops (some very small) that deal with these repairs.

We have a small one man shop in my town that rebuilds starters and alternators for a song. A GREAT option.

Snoop around to see if you can find a shop that offers this, and get a quote.
Thanks for the info. I remember there being a few of those shops in my area, but it seems many of them have closed down. I'll see what I can find. Also, any opinion on what could cause my whistle? Its definitely a belt driven accessory, and seems to be coming from the front of the engine. The pitch changes when I turn on lights which makes me think alternator. I'm not one to usually throw parts at something, but I've narrowed it down to the alt or the P/S pump and the noise seems closer to the alternator.

Build Thread:
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Use a "mechanics stethoscope" on these components to determine which one is bad.

Like a doctors stethoscope, but has an attenuator to filter out other noise.

A great addition to the toolbox for under $10.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.