Also, MUD IN DIFFERENTIAL!!! A lot of it too. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Also, MUD IN DIFFERENTIAL!!! A lot of it too.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 01-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
dirt machine
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also, MUD IN DIFFERENTIAL!!! A lot of it too.

To go along with my problems with leaking windows (and a slough of other problems), My front differential got filled with MUD!

No BS here. I found 1 inch of mud in the front differential. This could be as a result of the "mud pit" I went into, or just years of use. I looked under and the breather tube was disconnected. I know for a fact that my sister never changed the gear oil in her three years of use, so I went in there to do it and found this problem. Gear oil was like green milk.

The rear differential surprised me though, because there was no problem with the oil, just normal used oil. I also couldn't find a breather hose on this one. Did I just not look hard enough, or is it sealed? I hope it is sealed because that would be really nice. Has anyone else experienced the loose breather hose thing? I'm thinking of just siliconing the thing on there to be safe.

Since there was a lot of mud, I had to go in there with my hand and scoop it out. This was a really pain in the butt. I am going to run the thing for about a month, and then I will change the oil again. I will try to change the oil every 1ce per year from now on.

I couldn't find a breather hose on the xfer case either, but I don't know about this one. I changed the fluid and it was red like it should be, just really low. Alright, thanks a bunch.

-D

dirt machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
87Cherokeelmtd

First of all that breather isnt a breather i dont think, as far as i know it should be a vacuum line to engage the front end. As for your diff. did you check for the sealer that was put on it last time, just make sure its sealed well next time. Good Luck and make sure it stays quiet, or if it doesnt it might need new bearings.
Unread 01-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
mylt1

the front and rear axle shoul have a hose that, in the front runs up into the engine compartment and the rear has a hose that runs up to the fraim rail. the rear is located on the drivers side about 6-8 inches(maybe a little more) for the spring. the front im not sure if its location but it runs up into the engine compartment up near the air box. you can use brake cleaner to clean the inside of the pumpkin but you have to let it dry for a little while before you put the cover on and refill. if you start to hear any grinding noise at least you know where it came form.(the front axle.)
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
twisted_ed

i might have some insight, on the front dana 30, at least mine i have a breather hose, where on my rear 35c there is none cause the rubber cap i have has like an integrated breather in it which is a pain cause with my lift oil comes out there too and i have to check and top it up every time i do my oil changes.. but thats another story.. mud may have gotten into your front via the vent tube but im thinking it could also be your axle seals, on the front the axle seals are on either side actual differential inside the pumpkinwhere the axle tubes ends come through the pumpkin, not at the ends of the axle tubes like in the rear... at least this is how mine is and those axle tubes eventually fill up with mud and crap and they may have ruined your seal allowing the mud to enter the pumpkin but not allow much is any oil to leak past the seals and you to see it... in this case you would need to change those seals and im not sure if you can change them without removing the differential carrier and if you have to do that im not sure if you have to redo the backlash and stuff, i wouldnt think you would since youy arnt changing any shims etc... and if you do this put in new inner tube seals but get yourself these http://www.superioraxle.com/htmlfolder/axleseals.html and they will keep the mud and stuff out of the axle tubes,

like i say this might be somthing too look at as a probable problem
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
dirt machine
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I wasn't clear. The Dana 30 breather hose was disconnected so there was a gaping 1/2 inch hole on top of the differential. Luckily I didn't drive much in 4WD yet, only a few miles where necessary.

In the rear, there is a funky nut on the differential cover, a nut that is unscrewed with a 3/8 inch driver...just the driver itself! It is just a square hole that is exactly 3/8 inch thick. No rubber cap.

And I couldn't find a breather hose either. I'll get under there and look hard I guess. It is just a pain right now because it is cold and wet (well, for California standards). Thanks again.

d
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
dirt machine
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And it is not a vacuum. The vacuum hoses on the shift motor were disengaged too, but I fixed that before I went into the mud.

This hose was a huge 1/2 inch hose that fit right onto the differential itself.

d
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
law.74

The front diff always has parts moving when driving, so don't think you can get away with crappy oil up front just because you didn't use 4wd. Yes the load is considerable less, but the parts are still spinning especially after the early 90s where the driveline spins too. This is another of many reasons to upgrade to warn or MM hubs.
law.74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

The vent on the rear axle is connected to the brake block. If you look on the driver side axle tube, you will have your two brakelines going in to a 't' fitting. The rubber hose coming out of the top is you vent, NOT your brakeline. Your brakeline will be the rubber line coming out of the front.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Cherokeelmtd
First of all that breather isnt a breather i dont think, as far as i know it should be a vacuum line to engage the front end. As for your diff. did you check for the sealer that was put on it last time, just make sure its sealed well next time. Good Luck and make sure it stays quiet, or if it doesnt it might need new bearings.

First of all he didn't say what year his XJ is. After part way through 91 they eliminated the vacuume disconnect. And both differentials should have vents with hoses going up as another stated
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
dirt machine
2001 XJ Cherokee 

1989 Laredo

I was new a few weeks ago but I wonder if I could post some pics of the mud.

1st of all, I didn't intend on there being mud in the dif, it just happened to be there, which is why I was glad that I hadn't used 4wd much. No damage though so good. On that mud trip I lost an alternator and a radiator, so I didn't have much opportunity to drive much until now.

I am running good oil now. I think I will check out the brake lines for the breather tube because the differential shows little promise.

But just to clarify, does anybody have any clear cut answer as to where the breather is in the rear? I have seen now three things:

1. Same as front
2. Brake-line looking thing on driver's side top
3. Differential drain hole is rubber and is itself the breather.

Are ALL XJ's different? This seems a bit silly because I haven't actually had a chance to look again because I'm still at work...working hard. But still, usually it's more cut and dry, like "pre 91 you get this, after 96 you get this" or something.

The point of all is to make this thing resistant to the elements. Not so I can go into the mud hole again, which I will not do, but so I can splash in the 6" deep puddles going really fast and get water everywhere, and so I can cross a stream or two without needing to worry too much about water getting into the differentials. Thanks for all the feedback.

d
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
norcal420

Hey,

Sounds like you have a D35C in the rear, unfortunately I don't know if it's sealed or has a breather tube. On my 8.25 rear, the breather is off the brake "t" fitting as mentioned before and runs into a frame rail. I've extended that all the way up to the engine.

The front D30 also runs there, near my brake cyclinder. Put a filter on the top and they'll be fine.

The tranny and transfer case also have breather lines that should be extended. They end behind the engine in the bell housing on mine. They start on the driver's side for both . . .

Good luck extending them... checks the seals as mentioned too.

DR
Unread 01-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
dirt machine
2001 XJ Cherokee 

sorry but what is Dana 35C?

I have heard bad things about Dana 35's. Is a 35C better? Thanks.

D
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
twisted_ed

the c in 35c indicated that the axle was delivered to jeep uncompeted and they finished its assembly in the factory.. who knows why.
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
norcal420

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt machine
sorry but what is Dana 35C?
It's your rear axle . . . used in many jeeps. Search google for axle specs if ya want, or wait for someone here to do it for you.

As for the turdy five as it's typically referred to, they're not the best axle available but they're not as weak as people most people indicate. Most will tell you to toss it because it's so bad... I don't think that's necessary depending on what you run (rig and trails).

If you run no more than 33s locked, you should be ok. A buddy of mine runs his D35 w/ a detroit on 32.5s w/ no issues so far. And he ain't easy on the gas pedal. Of course, he doesn't give a rats a$$ either if it breaks.

DR

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.