Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Alignment gripe

656 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  01825XJ 
#1 ·
I recently replaced my lcas and after I was done noticed that I had a new onset strong pull to the right, being a Sunday I took it to pep boys (bad idea) but my only option. So they aligned it into spec and immediately after leaving the pull was still there. Called pep boys' manager on the same day, and he said it was a radial pull. I just got new Michelin ltx at2 installed mid February. So I was suspect of his response, but I waited a week and went to get my wheels rotated and balanced just to see if it was in fact a radial pull. It was not a radial pull, the jeep still pulls right. Called pep boys and told them they need to fix whatever they did I wrong, so I brought it up there they aligned it, showed me the specs on their machine ( I did not take a picture of them) but they were all green within range. So, the manager and tech drove it up and down the road and finally admitted that they felt the pull, but essentially it was out of their ability to fix it. So, for about 2 weeks I have been driving with my steering wheel cocked to the left to go straight...the top right corner of the airbag/horn is just to the right of my odometer to go straight......sorry to rant on. So, in a futile effort, I measured the back of the front wheels to the fenders to see if maybe when I installed my lcas, I moved the axle and caused it to be crooked. Is this a possibility?
Btw, it still pulls after trying to even the axle out.
Could my ball joints or other parts be worn and are causing this misalignment to occur?
Could it be my steering gear like pep boys suggested?
They said it was my steering gear because I have a lot of play in my steering, but when I turn my wheel my wheels turn right away.....so I doubt their "expertise"
Sorry to rant on, but it is so frustrating and my tires weren't cheap. So to clarify my question is what could be causing my misalignment? Is it other suspension parts that are worn out and not holding up to the new lcas? Is it my steering gear? Do I just need to adjust my steering wheel?
Some info, my jeep is 2001 sport 4x4 stock and probably hasn't had suspension components changed since production, except shocks and lcas with bpe installed and new p/s pump installed. No steering dampener. No lift kit my jeep is stock
Also, my jeep has never pulled before even with my old bfg tires and the new michelins.....it started after the control arms and alignment.

See less See more
#2 ·
All of what you mentioned are strong possibilities. What I suggest, is to take it to a shop that "specializes" in suspension. Have them check ball joints and all suspension components. Where I live they charge very little if at all for this check. In the mean time, what you can do is measure the distance between your front tires and lift coils or whatever suspension lift you have. You do mention you did this, but what were the results? Have you tried switching the front wheels around? For example right front wheel switch to left front and so on. Try that and report back.

#3 ·
Do Your own alignment. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
It a 14 years old Jeep. EVERYTHING is either due or overdue for servicing and/or replacement. Everything connected to the axle or part of the steering and suspension can contribute to your issues.

#4 ·
I understand it is old and needs changing/upgrading, but I didn't know if me changing the lcas caused my axle to shift or the worn parts cant hold with the new parts.....
What are the 2 brackets on the back of the lcas they are sleeves with two bolts in them. So what are they and what are the for.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.