Alignment can't correct this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Alignment can't correct this?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
rssuby2001
1987 MJ Comanche 

I am a mechanic for 12 years, toe will wear the inside edge of tires, check all the joints, track rod bushings, and the bushings on the control arms, if they are worn your toe will change as you apply your brakea

rssuby2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Adjusting the caster will change the camber a little.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Caster doesn't wear tires. That inside only wear is bad camber which is why I said check bearings and ball joints. They actually do make adjusters for camber and caster for full size straight axle trucks. I have never seen them for a jeep.

Adjusting the control arms will do no good in correcting the camber.

Any decent shop will check the ball joints and tie rod ends before aligning. Alignment is useless woth worn front end parts.

Wow,wow & wow. Then what are the cam bolts for on the arms, why are the top ball joints staggered inward from the bottoms?

New Jersey & you, broke together since 1787
GreenliftedTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Really this could be fixed in your driveway with a tape measure and a pipe wrench.

I did a driveway alignment on my XJ after replacing the draglink and upgrading to a ZJ tie rod, and after I lifted my XJ.

EDIT: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
GnarlyCharlie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Caster doesn't wear tires. That inside only wear is bad camber which is why I said check bearings and ball joints. They actually do make adjusters for camber and caster for full size straight axle trucks. I have never seen them for a jeep.

Adjusting the control arms will do no good in correcting the camber.

Any decent shop will check the ball joints and tie rod ends before aligning. Alignment is useless woth worn front end parts.
This.

edit:
Quote:
Wow,wow & wow. Then what are the cam bolts for on the arms, why are the top ball joints staggered inward from the bottoms?
Do some Jeeps have cam bolts? Neither of my XJs have had cam bolts so therefore no caster adjustment is possible. I might just be unaware, but I didn't think any XJs had cam bolts.
GnarlyCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

They definitely have a caster adjustment where the LCA bolts into the frame bracket.
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.