Alignment after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Alignment after lift

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
mxboarder17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alignment after lift

Ok, a friend of mine is putting on a lift and I mentioned that he should get an alignment done after the fact, which is what many people have told me to do after I did mine. He thinks that it does not have to be done since he is replacing the suspension with the same size lift. What do you all think, should he get the alignment done after putting on his lift?

Unread 02-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

if he changed the lower control arms he will because of the cam bolts. Also if he added a adjustable trac bar a alignment would be a good idea.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
if he changed the lower control arms he will because of the cam bolts. Also if he added a adjustable trac bar a alignment would be a good idea.
Cherokee's don't have cam bolts on the lower arms. And yes, anytime you change any front suspension or steering parts the alignment should be checked.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Y.E.S.

Michael
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

3.5" IRO Benchmark lift, Do I need an alignment?

I got a 97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ), I am putting on a 3.5" IRO Benchmark series kit in a week or so, do I need an alignment? if so can I drive for about a week to two weeks so I can save for an alignment?

The kit does not come with new control arms, only springs, shocks and a double shear adjustable track bar conversion for the front.

Thanks in advance!
Cole
97CherokeeSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CherokeeSport View Post
I got a 97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ), I am putting on a 3.5" IRO Benchmark series kit in a week or so, do I need an alignment? if so can I drive for about a week to two weeks so I can save for an alignment?

The kit does not come with new control arms, only springs, shocks and a double shear adjustable track bar conversion for the front.

Thanks in advance!
Cole
Yep, if your height changes, you need an alignment.
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Do the alignment yourself. It a 20 minute job to set the toe. Using only a tape measure and a couple wrenches. Need a angle gadge but caster/pinion angle is simple also. Google GoJeep.com
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The only real driveway thing a normal person can adjust is the toe, which is what gets thrown off the most by lifting anyway (its an inverted Y setup, so the higher you go, the more toe in you get). Its also really easy, depending on how stuck the tie rod is for you. Look up driveway alignment and you will find the information on it. I used a 18" pipe wrench, some pipe for leverage, and a blowtorch to heat up the tie rod. Once it was free it wasn't a problem at all. Re centering the steering wheel is the same concept, except for me I could spin it by hand once the bolts were loosened.

And by the way, this is the XJ section, 97CherokeeSport, you have a a grand. For other issues use their section you will get better answers. Conveniently they share the steering so we can help with that.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.