Airbag Light, Check Engine light, Gauges go dead.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Airbag Light, Check Engine light, Gauges go dead....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
OhioSpyderman

Airbag Light, Check Engine light, Gauges go dead....

...and then "No bus" in the odometer display.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and as usual with forums, sometimes the first post is about a problem.

Just recently, while driving my 1999 Cherokee CLASSIC (Auto, 4x4), I've experienced problems. They start with the AIRBAG light illuminating, then some or all of the gauges fall back to their off positions. This is shortly followed by a CHECK ENGINE light and a "No bus" display in the odometer area.

Has anyone experienced this or can tell me where I can go to seek further info on the described problem.

I DO NOT have a technical service manual for the vehicle.

My daily driver is a 1995 Mitsubishi Spyder VR4 and I have done quite a bit of work on it (both maintainance and modifications) so I am fairly "hands on" friendly.

I appreciate ANY and ALL input.

Thanks.

Bob.

edit....I forgot to mention, that when all of the above happen, the car still operates normally, and sometimes when the blinkers are used, the wipers are used or the brake pedal is depressed, the situation corrects itself (sometimes briefly, sometimes not).

Last edited by OhioSpyderman; 08-04-2005 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Changed Limited to Classic for vehicle type
OhioSpyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
dakotus

the main plug for the instrument panel must be corroded with *****, you might have to clean it out and spray electrial crap in ther (forgot the name)
Unread 08-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
OhioSpyderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotus
the main plug for the instrument panel must be corroded with *****, you might have to clean it out and spray electrial crap in ther (forgot the name)
Can you tell me where it is located (or provide a picture)?

Thank you for the quick reply, it is MUCH appreciated.

Bob.
Unread 08-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
OhioSpyderman

TTT, please!!!

My newly licensed son (16 yr old) is using this for transportation from time to time. I really need to get this addressed.

Thank you to all that reply.

Bob.
Unread 08-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
dakotus

Bob sorry no picture, but if you take apart the dash a little you will see what im talking about. you willl have to remove the gauge cluster . there is a main plug there that connects the whole thing together.

before you do anything, disconnect the battery to be safe.
Unread 08-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Trippe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotus
... and spray electrial crap in ther (forgot the name)
you be thinking about dielectric grease..

i've taken apart my dash...its fairly straight forward...just getting it out around the damn light knob is a bit of a pain..i know its supposed to pop off but for some reason mine just wouldn't..
GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #130
Parrothead Jeeper Union Member #1
Trippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
goriath
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine does the same thing!
I have a 98 and it did it probably four times. . . The last time it did it was like 2 months ago, I smacked my hand down on the dash and lo and behold the guages all started working again. . . . its all good now.

My advice, smack the crap out of the top of the dash . . . that should do it.
WHITE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1998
goriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
dakotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goriath
Mine does the same thing!
I have a 98 and it did it probably four times. . . The last time it did it was like 2 months ago, I smacked my hand down on the dash and lo and behold the guages all started working again. . . . its all good now.

My advice, smack the crap out of the top of the dash . . . that should do it.
LOL, Ive used that 'fix' before, believe me!

and yea, dielectric grease is what you need, should cost no more than a $1
Unread 08-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #9
firefighter1c57
SPACE FOR RENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippe
you be thinking about dielectric grease..

i've taken apart my dash...its fairly straight forward...just getting it out around the damn light knob is a bit of a pain..i know its supposed to pop off but for some reason mine just wouldn't..
Um, the knob doesn't pop off, there is a button on the back of the head light switch. Little metal knob with small spring on it. Push knob down pull headlight switch all the way out, rod and all. Then the damn anoying buzzer that you left your lights on stays on. Oh, and if you have the auto shut off headlights, they will overheat the switch, melt it, and the wiring harness for all the lights. As the song says, Don't ask me how I know.

I bring NOTHING to the table.
firefighter1c57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #10
dakotus

you can pull the dash off while leaving the knob there, its a TIGHT fit, but i've had to do it
Unread 09-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
EvilSpock
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. Thanks to Jeep Forum, I remember reading about this problem. I pulled the instrament cluster out, put a little die-electric grease on the connectors and it fixed the problem. 1/2 hour fix. Good Luck!
http://4x4ham.com
EvilSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #12
91xjfireman

I had this too. When you get your cluster unplugged you will notice that the plugs are a little loose on the dash. Put some black tape or something to build up a base behind them. slide them over to a nice snug fit, use some grease and i promise you problem fixed.

07 door door JK X. ordered with dana 44, 4:10, and a tru-trak. Hardtop of course. Auto though :(
91xjfireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.