Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

air intakes

5K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  VTJeep11 
#1 ·
i'm going to change the air intake on my jeep. i really don't wanna buy a whole K&N kit for like $230, does any1 know where i can get it for cheap? or how to make 1? if you guys could help me it out it'd be much apprechiated thanks.

#3 ·
Another option is to go to www.xj-armor.com and look under their intake section. They sell a special "tube" that has two outlets for the vacuum hoses, so you dont have to craft them yourself. Here is a picture of the intake tube:

With this tube you can install any cone filter with a 3 inch inlet, like in this picture.

If you get a K+N filter and tube combo, it should cost you around $80, and do the same thing that K+N kit would do, but for a third of the price.

#4 ·
cfkingfish said:
Another option is to go to www.xj-armor.com and look under their intake section. They sell a special "tube" that has two outlets for the vacuum hoses, so you dont have to craft them yourself. Here is a picture of the intake tube:

With this tube you can install any cone filter with a 3 inch inlet, like in this picture.

If you get a K+N filter and tube combo, it should cost you around $80, and do the same thing that K+N kit would do, but for a third of the price.
all right thanks man.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Yeah the Rusty's tube also has the two outlets for the two hoses. I run the Rusty's set up also with the tube he sells but instead of buying a autozone filter i went tith the 6x9 big A** K&N filter that RUsty's offers, it has a lifetime warranty and boy does it look mean, it makes the jeep sound awesome when u really floor it too. With shipping and everything i think mine came out to about 90.

#9 ·
atfrith said:
Yeah the Rusty's tube also has the two outlets for the two hoses. I run the Rusty's set up also with the tube he sells but instead of buying a autozone filter i went tith the 6x9 big A** K&N filter that RUsty's offers, it has a lifetime warranty and boy does it look mean, it makes the jeep sound awesome when u really floor it too. With shipping and everything i think mine came out to about 90.
good deal thanks. i was thinking about going for the big a## filter too, for the more air flow. what about a heat sheild? did you make 1 or just let it go open?

#10 ·
I made one out of a peice of windsheild visor just like MSHarnett did, except instead of just using the shield i cut out a peice of plywood to fit in the space and then i gorilla glued a cut out peice of the visor and then just ziptied it into place. So far so good.

#11 ·
I'm just curious, how important is the "heat shield" anyhow? I think I've seen setups that don't bother with one. Is the K&N filter susceptible to the heat? :confused:

#12 ·
ya know i asked the same question when i was looking to get my cold air intake. And i never really got a straight answer, i guess its really just kinda up to you. I'm sure they do help somewhat because without it then the filter is just sucking in a buncha hot air coming from the engine. I woulda never payed for one though, the only reason i ever made one is because my mom had one of those sun visors sittin around that she never used and my brother had a peice of plywood ( i have no idea why), so it didn't end up costing me any money. Even if you don't have those materials lyin around, if you went out and bought them it shouldn't cost you more then 10 bucks, or less if you decide to not use the plywood and just use the visor by itself

#13 ·
mans said:
I'm just curious, how important is the "heat shield" anyhow? I think I've seen setups that don't bother with one. Is the K&N filter susceptible to the heat? :confused:
the heat sheild really isn't that important. but the idea of changeing the air filter is to get more air, and exspecially more cooler air to the engine. this make it preform better, without a shield, the filter sucks in hot air off the engine and kinda is useless.

#14 ·
Hello! had to ask how much umph does using these setups add to the engine? Thanks! EZ

#15 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm basing this question on my motorcycle experience.

1- By increasing the air flow, wouldn't this cause the engine to run lean, and require either remapping the EFI or increasing the injector size?

2 - high flow filters (such as the K&N) have been shown to allow more paticulates into the engine, causeing premature wear. While these aplications may be fine for street aplications, for an off road aplication wouldn't this be like shooting yourself in the foot?

Again, I'm only asking so don't lynch the new guy. :D

#16 ·
electriczipper said:
Hello! had to ask how much umph does using these setups add to the engine? Thanks! EZ
it'll only add a few. the filter alone will add probably 10 horse, companies advertise 15-20 but that doesn't happen, unless you put wider pipeing on and change your exhaust.

#17 ·
Wolf_Child said:
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm basing this question on my motorcycle experience.

1- By increasing the air flow, wouldn't this cause the engine to run lean, and require either remapping the EFI or increasing the injector size?

2 - high flow filters (such as the K&N) have been shown to allow more paticulates into the engine, causeing premature wear. While these aplications may be fine for street aplications, for an off road aplication wouldn't this be like shooting yourself in the foot?

Again, I'm only asking so don't lynch the new guy. :D
increaseing the air flow will allow more oxidization, allowing the engine to produce more horse power and run more efficently. it doesn't effect it enought have change the injector, unless you want to. that's true for somewhat, but if you get a shield and keep it clean less paticulates will enter the engine. they work well for off roading because they hadd horse and torq to the engine also better gas milage, but remember there just minor improvements.

#18 ·
So basicly, car engines are not as touchy as bike engines. Minor changes in air density, and fuel ratios don't have as severe an impact on the Jeep as oppsed to my DRZ. Ok, I think I got it. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Yeah cooler air is more dense, meaning it contains more molecules to combust, therefor creating a little more power. An intake alone will not do to much, mabey a little gain, but other mods will help too, such as an exhaust system, bored throttle body, and of course a few Type R racing stickers should give a few horses, haha :rofl:

#20 ·
Thanks VTJeep11!
EZ

#22 ·
Osteonis said:
Ok so say you don't want to do the heat shield thing, but you want to get this kick a** intake does a snorkel solve the problem of sucking hot engine air?
no i want a heat shield. i'm gonna buy 1 from xj-armor, along with the pipe i need. all a snorkel does is change the location in where the engine sucks in air. also i think it changes where the filter is, but i'm not sure i don't know much about snorkels.

#23 ·
Without the heat shield it's not a "cold air" intake it's a "hot air" intake! The usual rule of thumb is that you lose 1 hp for every 10 degrees increase in intake air temperature.

Without the heat shield those intake tubes are just drawing hot air from under the hood. In fact, because they're usually positioned right above the exhaust manifold they are probably drawing the HOTTEST air from under the hood. Anything you can do to prevent this, and to feed the intake the coolest air possible, will improve your horsepower far more than the larger filter alone.

This is especially true because the stock intake on an XJ flows more than enough air until you get up around 5,000 rpms. How much time do you really spend at more than 5,000 rpms?

As for the chips... What? Gasoline's not expensive enough for you? Now you want to force yourself to use premium all the time? And in exchange you might get 1-2 hp. Again, cooling your intake air will do a lot more, for a lot less, than any chip ever will.

#25 ·
batilzown

Nice homebrew dude. So, how'd you come up with the connector airtube (along with the small tube opening)? Looks super! :)

#26 ·
There is something I'm not getting. I understand the tube might pick up "some" heat, but with the amount of hot air you are sucking in from the engine compartment, how can anything be called a cold air intake? Has anyone made vents to suck outside air? What do you do about water/rain? That's what I want to know. If you ran a snorkle, and then insulated the inside ducting, that would be cold. I'm really asking how to do this, cause that seems worth while. Or would it be more worth while to insulate the exhaust header? Can you run K+N's with snorkles?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.