Air helper springs... anyone run them? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Air helper springs... anyone run them?

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Bakounine

Air helper springs... anyone run them?

If so, how do you like them?

I was looking at this product Jeep Cherokee XJ Air Bag Helper Spring Kit 1984-2001 - "Ride Control" Suspension by Air Lift (the only one available for Jeep Cherokees it seems...?) and it states that it “will increase the level load capacity (to) 2000 lbs”.

Does level load capacity means tongue weight capacity? I figure there must be a reason why they chose not to use the term “tongue weight”...

I would like to occasionaly tow an open car trailer with a 2,000 lbs car on it with my XJ. That means approx. 4000-4200 lbs with ?? lbs tongue weight (I wish I could afford a Trailex trailer CT-7541 ) The XJ is rated at 5,000 lbs towing capacity / 500 lbs tongue weight. I guess air helper springs would help against sagging, but does it really affect the tongue weight capacity?

Bakounine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
96jeepin
2001 WJ 

yup i have a version of them in the jeep, i have the old style. the kind old muscle cars had, the air shocks. WELL WORTH THE MONEY! they gave me 2.5 inches of lift when inflated and unloaded. ride did not suffer at all.

very happy over all.

Aaron
96jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It doesn't change the towing capacity, tounge weight or anything like that. It just allows you to carry more weight while keeping the body level. Its doesn't increase the maximum weight you can carry.

The hitch is still only rated for 500lbs tounge weight. If you position the car your hualing correctly thats not too big a deal.

The air bags will help keep your rear springs from prematurely sagging due to towing/hauling though. wouldn't mind a set of those myself. I guess you have to add the air externally when you want to use them? I would assume it fills from a Schrader valve so you can use a pump at a gas station? I have OBA so thats not a problem though, just curoius.

Oh I should mention that you CAN over extend air leveling systems (and break them) if you do any type of wheeling and you get too much flex. Those are designed for stock height springs. Just thought I would mention it just in case.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My brother on his plow jeep uses air shocks that can be adjusted by adding air in a Schrader valve like kettles talked about. It's great when he has a plow on the front, or a salter in the back. Ride does suffer if they aren't deflated when the heavy items are removed. They are really nice, and each pair can be adjusted independently, with the valve in the bumper so you don't have to crawl under the car.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Something to think about: these helpers cost just as much as new spring packs. Except for the additional payload capacity, I don't see the benefit.
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Something to think about: these helpers cost just as much as new spring packs. Except for the additional payload capacity, I don't see the benefit.
I didn't even open the link until you said this. Thats crazy!

The air shock kit is about 60-70 bucks and has everything you need.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
RicheB413
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Oh I should mention that you CAN over extend air leveling systems (and break them) if you do any type of wheeling and you get too much flex. Those are designed for stock height springs. Just thought I would mention it just in case.
I saw something in another thread, cant recal which one,(sorry) But someone was talking about this air-bag system and said that bought seperate bags; not the ones that come with the package, but if i do remember correctly, someone asked him about the rear leaf springs and if they would be able to "fan" during articulation, he said that i think anyways the seperate bags he bought woul allow for normal articulation and compensated to equal the height of the lift...

correct me if i'm wrong please this information will be useful to me, i as well am going to be towing a trailer/camper and want no sag but will be going on trails so i would rather not shredding a air-bag on the trail.
thanks
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheB413 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong please this information will be useful to me, i as well am going to be towing a trailer/camper and want no sag but will be going on trails so i would rather not shredding a air-bag on the trail. thanks
If you want to control sag a better solution is a weight distributing hitch... The weight distribution system will keep the vehicle level and can incorporate an anti-sway control, which makes the trailer more stable and the vehicle rides more predictably.

They aren't cheap, but they work really well and you don't have to mess around with mods to your suspension -- the whole thing is part of the hitch/ballmount... I use one w/ my WK when towing my car trailer + XJ and it made a HUGE difference.

JW
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
RicheB413
2001 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=nostaw22;8594752
-- the whole thing is part of the hitch/ballmount... I use one w/ my WK when towing my car trailer + XJ and it made a HUGE difference.
JW[/QUOTE]

Do you have any photos of this? and i obv. can google and get more info on it or is this something newer?
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheB413 View Post
Do you have any photos of this? and i obv. can google and get more info on it or is this something newer?
It is pretty standard stuff...

There is a lot of info on weight distributing systems (and a lot of different models for sale) here:
Weight Distribution - etrailer.com

Specifically, I have this one:
High Performance Reese SC Weight Distribution System, 800 lbs. TW / 10,000 lbs. GTW 66154 - etrailer.com

And a 2" ball and this shank:
Weight Distributing Shank - Cushioned AMAC1 - etrailer.com

The basics are pretty simple... The weight distributing system uses some type of spring bars (trunion or round-bar) to distribute the tongue weight over the vehicle / trailer suspension. The weight distributing mechanism can also incorporate trailer sway control features (makes it more $ -- the one I've got does) to make trailer loads more stable. The shank is sold separately with some weight distributing systems as it has to fit your application and accommodate the height of your trailer hitch and the vehicle receiver. There are some nice videos on the website showing how to set the weight distributing systems up that explain the details.

I've bought a lot of stuff from etrailer.com and I don't have any issue recommending them as an e-vendor... They have a really nice website and the shipping was quick and hassle free every time. Their prices are good too.

JW
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

x2, I use a Reese weight distribution hitch for heavy trailering and find it incredibly effective at maximizing safety and control. Weight distribution hitches for heavy trailers is the only way to go IMO.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
bst123
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Monroe Load adjusters

I put Monroe load adjuster shocks on my stock 1999 XJ and it took all the sag out and improved the handling problems that I had with my XJ. $110 from Advanced Auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.