air conditioning woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > air conditioning woes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

air conditioning woes

So I live in Texas, I love my AC, and until recently it has loved me.

The unit back in the dash that directs air to all the different vents is having issues, I can't use the recirc or hi and low air condition settings anymore, because it all just blows straight out of the windshield vent, which of course drags it through the sunlight and kills the cold factor quite a bit.

Point being, I need to replace that part of the ducting and I'm wondering if anyone has had to do this and how much of a pain I'm getting into. I'm a college student in an apartment so I can only really do projects that don't require a HUGE amount of time or more than general tools, so it's nice to know what to expect.

Also anyone had particular success/misery with specific brands of OEM replacements in the AC system?

Unread 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wondering why you need to replace any of the ducting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
.....it all just blows straight out of the windshield
Start by making sure you have no vacuum leaks, the flapper valve that directs the air runs on engine vacuum. Inspect the vacuum ball behind the front bumper and all the hoses and rubber fittings.

vac-ball.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Bbasso
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak...
listen for a hiss on the passenger side fender under the hood.
I tracked mine down to a leak that is behind the front bumper.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like they have you covered here. Try not to tear the whole thing apart to find a leak .
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yep! You are welcome to point your favorite search engine at "Cherokee defrost only" and browse through the gazillion threads on this.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everybody! I'll check for a leak. My last cherokee it really was the unit, so I just assumed it was that again.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE: I forgot to ever come back and tell everyone the cause of the problem. It actually turned out to be a cracked plug for the Brake booster was the source of my leak. It's at the back driver's side of the engine bay, and apparently a common failure point. Anyone having a minor vacuum-leak related issue might want to check it. Replacing it also fixed a high-pitched whine that varied with engine speed that I had barely noticed until it was gone.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.