Air conditioning compressor/Fan died - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Air conditioning compressor/Fan died

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Air conditioning compressor/Fan died

My A/C fan and compressor stopped working suddenly the other day, just refused to turn on. A/C clutch does not engage, i have the fan hardwired to a switch in case i really need it so im guessing there is a sensor or fuse or relay blown somewhere, i have no idea where to start looking. I'm assuming the two are related, any ideas as to what could be the problem?

PBriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

your elect fan runs when your a/c compressor kicks on and when you get above 218*+/- . does it kick on from temp rise ? or have you jumped a wire to the fan to see if it still works ? Take it to an a/c shop and have them check your freon levels and pressures to see if your compressor is shot.

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

There is a fuse and relay for both the A/C and the aux fan in the fuse box under your hood. Each item has its own relay and fuse. Those fuses are an easy thing to check. In my 91 XJ they are the two fuses and relays closest to the firewall.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes the electric fan works, i only see a relay for AC no fuse
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I think you should see a relay and a small plastic fuse in front of the relay. The fuse is toward the passenger fender from the relay for each relay on my 91. I have not looked at a 93 to see what that fuse box looks like but I know a 97 is completely different in layout.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

the fuses and relays are all intact, it does seem like a fuse blew or something though because they just stopped working suddenly, no weird symptoms or sounds/smells before
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbrizzle View Post
your elect fan runs when your a/c compressor kicks on and when you get above 218*+/- . does it kick on from temp rise ? or have you jumped a wire to the fan to see if it still works ? Take it to an a/c shop and have them check your freon levels and pressures to see if your compressor is shot.

Brizzle
if the compressor was shot i think the clutch would still engage correct? and would the compressor failure cause the fan to die also?

Tags
a/c , air conditioning , electrical , fan , heat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.