Air conditioning compressor/Fan died - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Air conditioning compressor/Fan died

My A/C fan and compressor stopped working suddenly the other day, just refused to turn on. A/C clutch does not engage, i have the fan hardwired to a switch in case i really need it so im guessing there is a sensor or fuse or relay blown somewhere, i have no idea where to start looking. I'm assuming the two are related, any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

your elect fan runs when your a/c compressor kicks on and when you get above 218*+/- . does it kick on from temp rise ? or have you jumped a wire to the fan to see if it still works ? Take it to an a/c shop and have them check your freon levels and pressures to see if your compressor is shot.

Brizzle

“Don’t Tread On Me”

www.highsprings.com
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

There is a fuse and relay for both the A/C and the aux fan in the fuse box under your hood. Each item has its own relay and fuse. Those fuses are an easy thing to check. In my 91 XJ they are the two fuses and relays closest to the firewall.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes the electric fan works, i only see a relay for AC no fuse
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I think you should see a relay and a small plastic fuse in front of the relay. The fuse is toward the passenger fender from the relay for each relay on my 91. I have not looked at a 93 to see what that fuse box looks like but I know a 97 is completely different in layout.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

the fuses and relays are all intact, it does seem like a fuse blew or something though because they just stopped working suddenly, no weird symptoms or sounds/smells before
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
PBriggs
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbrizzle View Post
your elect fan runs when your a/c compressor kicks on and when you get above 218*+/- . does it kick on from temp rise ? or have you jumped a wire to the fan to see if it still works ? Take it to an a/c shop and have them check your freon levels and pressures to see if your compressor is shot.

Brizzle
if the compressor was shot i think the clutch would still engage correct? and would the compressor failure cause the fan to die also?

Tags
a/c , air conditioning , electrical , fan , heat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.