Air conditioner stops cooling and then works again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Air conditioner stops cooling and then works again

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
QwkTrip

Air conditioner stops cooling and then works again

Warm weather is coming soon so I will have to deal with a problem that I have put off since last year. The air conditioner in my 2000 Cherokee works great for a while and then all of a sudden quits cooling. It blows humid outside air for about 5 minutes and then begins to cool again. Any ideas?

A friend suggested that there is a temperature switch that keeps the condensor from freezing. But I have no idea what to look for or if that is true.

Thanks for the help!

QwkTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

First thing to check is the R134 level. See if it needs topped off or if there is a leak.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
QwkTrip

If the refrigerant was low then wouldn't it perform poorly consistently? This is an intermittent problem. The AC cools great when it's on. It just switches off completely from time to time.
Unread 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
wcbuyer

My '99 did this last year - it needed freon but still did it after it was added. It mainly does it in stop and go traffic and has done it this year also.

Charles
'99XJ
wcbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
QwkTrip

Ya, it does occur more often driving at slow speeds which suggests it is related to temperature and/or pressure in the AC system. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out for someone that is familiar with AC systems. I guess I'll need to start reading up and learn something new.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 04-07-2007 at 05:46 PM..
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
BrunoS

ok, if the r134a level is good, then next cause of this symptom is exapanison valve freezeup. happens when there is excess moisture in the refrigerant and it causes the water to freeze up where the liquid freon goes through a tiny orifice and expands to a gas in your evaporator (and gives frosty cool air)

you can't fix this yourself....here's why:

search for a coupon, then go to pep boys, goodyear, or whoever, and have them suck all the refrigerant out, change out the dessicant/dryer assembly, then recharge it with 134a and the right oil. that will fix your problem...but you have to get out all the moisture with a vaccum pump for quite some time.

for around $100, you should have working a/c again.

OR: go to pep boys, napa, kragen, look for the little a/c bottles that can fix these little problems...you need the can that will claim to get rid of excess moisture in the system. they sell them for around $10 and might be worth a try first. the stop leak has worked well for me.

let us know what you decide.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
madrabbitt

coolent level
excess moisture in the system
poor connection on the compressor's power line.

those are your likely causes.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was doing that 4 summers ago. It would work 20-30 minutes then I would have to shut it off for ten. Repeat.

My Jeep still had an extended warranty so my buddy at the dealer got to fix it for me. Something was freezing, whether it was what was mentioned above I couldn't say.

He did repair it and the problem hasn't existed since then. It sure was a PITA when driving from Chicago to Wash. DC.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.