air condition does not work after blower and resistor replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > air condition does not work after blower and resistor replacement

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
drpepper2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

air condition does not work after blower and resistor replacement

Greetings Jeep enthusiasts,

Synopsis: What can cause an air conditioner that has worked for years to suddenly cool at slightly less than outside temperature but not at 58 degrees or whatever the ideal target is?

I have a lifted 2000 Cherokee Sport and I love it. It is my second Cherokee Sport and I wouldn't mind owning nothing but Jeeps going forward. I fell in love at first with a Jeep Liberty around 2000.

Anyway, three weeks ago the blower in my 2000 Cherokee Sport was working perfect with air conditioning at any fan speed. Very effectively cooling the interior against 90 degree heat. It is possible some water I went through is a root cause because it is the only thing I can think of out of the ordinary. Two weeks ago, the fan blower stopped working on all fan speeds. It was dead.

I took it to mechanic 1 who had replaced the blower 86,000 miles ago and had him change it again. He said he changed it with a Mopar. He said it took out the blower resistor as well so that was also replaced. Since the replacement the speeds are fine, the blower is fine and the heat is fine. The temperature changes fine from hot to cool. This cost $470.

However, in the cold settings, the air gets slightly colder than outside but it cannot condition the air to be comfortable anymore. So if it is 80 or 90 outside, the AC is useless.

Just as a side note there is no service engine light now or then nor has been in years.

Mechanic 1 said the freon is completely unrelated to the blower and resistor and the failure must be due to a leak of the freon which must have coincidentally failed at the same time as the blower and blower resistor. The only way to know is to discharge, fill with dye and freon, and charge. So this was done at Mechanic 2 because I don't believe in coincidences.

Mechanic 2 did the work I asked and then told me:

A. The air condition still will not work.
B. There is not a perceivable leak in the freon.
C. The air conditioner cannot be run until it is fixed or it will burn up the freon.
D. He changed out a relay just to see if that was it. I saw the resistor in his hand. It wasn't the resistor.
1. I believe he undid the relay change because I was not charged for one nor labor for the test.
E. He said that the vehicle was not throwing a code but he forced it to throw a code and according to his research, it points to the computer is not telling the clutch to engage in the compressor and needs a computer change out. This would be $450.

I paid mechanic 2 $120 for freon and charging the AC system.

At this point I am not sure I trust Mechanic 1 or Mechanic 2 because the clutch is engaging.

The fan blower has not been turned on to any setting since Mechanic 2. I do not currently know the code but I may go get one pulled today.

For another opinion, I called a dealer today.

The dealer service advisor said in 15 years of service he has never seen where an air conditioner is not working due to a computer needing to be changed out.

I explained to the service advisor that the clutch was routinely engaging and disengaging in the compressor as it has when the air conditioner is on the entire time I have owned the Jeep. I also observed this occurring at Mechanic 1 shop when they were trying to say there must be a leak in the freon. They made sure to draw my attention to the clutch engaging and disengaging and said that there is only some freon on the system and enough to get the clutch to engage but not enough to get it to work.

Service advisor said there is no way it is the computer because obviously the clutch is engaging and that I need to look at something like an actuator that is not permitting the cold air to change. This will require tearing the dashboard apart. I bet that will be another $400.

The thing is, the cold air changed from hot and from hot back to cold. Maybe a better term is slightly cool.

Maybe one of you readers have some insight that could help me out please?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by drpepper2; 06-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: updated information
drpepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Find a better mechanic ?

The computer has zero to do with the A/C. The system either has a leak, the A/C compressor clutch needs adjustment, or you may have a blend door issue. I suggest you find a real A/C shop to diagnose the problem.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.