Ahh! Electrical Help!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ahh! Electrical Help!!!!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 03-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
GreenReaper93

Ahh! Electrical Help!!!!

Hey everyone! Here's the rundown:

1999 Cherokee Sport
4.0L straight six
Auto tranny

I bought this thing back in November. At the time of purchase there was a toggle switch. Looking at the wiring one wire runs to the + post of the battery with an inline fuse, while the other wire is spliced to the green/orange strip (this wire is the power wire to the ignition coil).

It's now March and I've already gone through one alternator (which isn't cheap). The lights still pulse bright/dim under 2000 RPM. The old alternator was dismantled and cause of failure was determined to be a grounding through the alternator shaft itself. I guess it somehow caused the rotor to touch the windings and ground a spot. Either way, the electrical grounding through the shaft is what worries me. Does the make-shift wiring the coil backleading and causing my alternator to fry prematurly, or is there something wrong with the battery? In any event I need help to figure this thing out. Thanks everyone!!!!

GreenReaper93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
CowboyPA

Explain this switch better.. What is this green and orange stip, is it factory? what happens when youflip the switch? Engine kill? And the last alternator possibly touched due to a bent armature, bad bearing, warping of the case and a few others.. but I doubt that it had anything to do with this switch unless someone really hacked this 99's wiring..

Every rose has it's Thorn, every XJ has it's leak, and every cowboy sings a sad sad song
CowboyPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
XJ-NoDough

I agree please explain the wiring a little more from the sound of it, it was wired so that you could shut down the ignition coil from inside the engine bay. Maybe it was some sort of as CowboyPA said "Kill switch" like so you could park in a crappy neighborhood, and in order for it to get stolen they atleast couldn't drive it away.
If those are the only two things it joins, then it is realy unlikely that it has anything to do with your alternator issues(to be sure, take it out-in a short term trial sort of way). But your voltage issues could be so many things, do you have aftermarket audio at all, or other lights, or C.B.?
Chrysler did a s&^$%&^y job engineering the wiring on not just these but pretty much all their products.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
pyrofighter06
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-NoDough View Post
I agree please explain the wiring a little more from the sound of it, it was wired so that you could shut down the ignition coil from inside the engine bay. Maybe it was some sort of as CowboyPA said "Kill switch" like so you could park in a crappy neighborhood, and in order for it to get stolen they atleast couldn't drive it away.
If those are the only two things it joins, then it is realy unlikely that it has anything to do with your alternator issues(to be sure, take it out-in a short term trial sort of way). But your voltage issues could be so many things, do you have aftermarket audio at all, or other lights, or C.B.?
Chrysler did a s&^$%&^y job engineering the wiring on not just these but pretty much all their products.
I have an after market audio system and all lights dash headlights everything pulses at idle. What do i need to do correct the problem?
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think a wire running from the battery positive to the coil would be a good kill switch sounds like a bad hack job,what happens when you disconnect the wire from the battery?
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrofighter06 View Post
I have an after market audio system and all lights dash headlights everything pulses at idle. What do i need to do correct the problem?
Try starting your own thread, instead of digging up a thread that has been dead for 7 years.

Replace your battery and alternator wires with larger gauge wires. Install a higher output alternator. Install a capacitor for your amp.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.