Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Advice for swapping axle shafts?

505 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  un4gvn1 
#1 ·
I'm planning to replace my front axle assembly with a pull from a '95 XJ. All the differential guts are in excellent shape aside from a leaking inner seal. The issue is I really don't want the 5-260X shafts currently installed. The issue with the '99 I plan to swap the 95 assembly onto is with the pinion bearings, and doesn't seem to effect the shafts. My '99 has the 5-297x shafts installed, which are what I'd prefer to have. Both are 3.55 Dana 30s, Non-ABS.

Can I straight swap the axle shaft + unit bearing assembly, etc. from my 1999 axle onto the replacement 1995 assembly?

Can I simply replace my 297x joints with newer 760x joints as I'm doing the swap?

Should I be taking this 95 assembly back to the scrap yard and hoping an assembly for less than $265 shows up with fewer than 130k miles on it in the next few months?

#2 ·
Why are you replacing the front axle in the first place? You should be able to use your unit bearings, shafts, brakes, basically everything on the older axle.

As far as price, I have yet to pay more than $125 for a fully assembled dana 30 in my area. All from craigslist. I see them for $100 all the time, only paid more once because I was in a pinch. That's hub to hub with brakes. Maybe prices are different in your area though.

#5 ·
I'm confused, 95 and 99 both have the larger, stronger u joint. 94- has the smaller one.

what are you trying to do?
I have a non-ABS Jeep. Prior to 96 the non-ABS Jeep still had the 260s.

And in general my pinion bearings are on the way out. Lateral movement, vibrations, and leaks. Also my original spider gears don't look so hot.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. And apparently everything near me, at least according to car-part and Craigslist, says 250+ is the going rate for Dana 30s. It seems like all XJ related stuff is super expensive here in Kentucky, never understood it.

#4 ·
1990-2001 all the D30 parts interchange. 5-297 are discontinued, 5-760 are the identical replacement.

If you swap hubs across pre/post 1999.5 production dates, swap the rotors also.

Read this thread for more D30 part swapping info >> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/any-difference-hubs-360959/

I doubt you will find many 130k mile axles, the price is a bit high, but other than that I see no reason to return it.

#6 ·
1990-2001 all the D30 parts interchange. 5-297 are discontinued, 5-760 are the identical replacement.

If you swap hubs across pre/post 1999.5 production dates, swap the rotors also.

Read this thread for more D30 part swapping info >> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/any-difference-hubs-360959/

I doubt you will find many 130k mile axles, the price is a bit high, but other than that I see no reason to return it.
This almost bit me when I bought late model axle shaft assemblies when I broke a shaft on my '88. We debated grabbing the rotor when we pulled the shaft at Pick-n-Pull. Good thing we did, the old rotor has a different inside diameter & won't go on the later model hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.