Adjustable Track Bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Adjustable Track Bars

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Adjustable Track Bars

I'm looking for a track bar for my xj with 3.5" lift. I found this Rough Country track bar on Ebay for 1.5-4.5" lift, but I thought RC only made the 4-6.5" track bar. Is this ebay one actually a legit Rough Country track bar? Is it worth the $130? I'm not looking to spend any more than $150.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Adjust...item20c2bb6b05

Unread 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Considering it is directly from RC, I'd say it is a genuine RC track bar... Which means you should be checking out IRO instead. Their track bars use solid steel rather than hollow round stock.
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose the extra $10 for this IRO would be worth it....?? This jeep is going to be my DD, probably won't see a whole lot of off roading at all, so I don't need the double shear do I?
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Another vote for the IRO double shear. After putting on my 3" lift and 31's and promptly proceeding to abuse the living hell out of the jeep, the track bar bushing AND ball joint wore out in no time, axle offset itself to one side and steering got sloppy and terrible. The IRO is seriously beefy, and no pressed in ball joints you can't remove to replace. My only complaint was that by taking their recommended length settings that come in the instructions and extrapolating to 3" of lift, it wasn't even close. Maybe I measured wrong. I adjusted a few times till it came out right, and the whole process took just a couple hours with a helper. Good quality product.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Avoid any track bar with a tie rod end for an upper joint.

The IRO double shear tack bar is an excellent choice. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
So, does the IRO Adjustable track bar (not the double shear) have a tie rod end for the upper joint? I'd like to keep the cost under $150.
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard92XJ View Post
So, does the IRO Adjustable track bar (not the double shear) have a tie rod end for the upper joint? I'd like to keep the cost under $150.
Yes it does.

The 129 price gets you a HD TRE 'direct' replacement.

189 gets you a new bracket and the HD double shear.

You could always upgrade to the double shear later - they sell the bracket and conversion from TRE to double shear separately too.

I have the 189 set up - it's going to grow and last my rig for a while.

IRO offers 1/2 off shipping for JF members as well.
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Rangerman28
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had the double shear on my 96 and LOVED it. I'm planning on getting one soon for my 99. I say get the double shear and you'll tell a difference for sure.

99 Cherokee Sport- Forest Pearl Green, 4.5" Rustys, 33x10.50 KM2s on stock wheels, JKS Quicker Disconnects, and many more mods to come!
Rangerman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If cost is that important the IRO basic adjustable will work fine for you. The double shear is worth the extra cost though if you can swing it. Either way IRO is king in the trac-bar department, their bars are seriously heavy duty.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
justanotherjpr

Get the double sheer bar and bracket from IRO or nothing at all. Any of the ones with a TRE at the top is just a waste of your time installing it and my time responding to your next post about how it doesn't work properly.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Tim, just wondering if you can elaborate on this? I haven't really had much experience or thought on adjustable track bars so just looking for more info. Thanks
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I can chime in on that one... the tie-rod will not hold up to the stresses of centering the front axle to the body. They arent made for that. Will it work... for a while. There are a lot of stories here, NAXJA and Pirate about the issue.

BUt why get something with a weak point, that you will have to buy a replacement for later?
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/TB.html
jeepjunkymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think you guys have talked me into the double shear....might as well spend the extra $50 now rather than buy the $129 and have it where out in a year, then buy the double shear.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
Tim, just wondering if you can elaborate on this? I haven't really had much experience or thought on adjustable track bars so just looking for more info. Thanks

Tie rod ends are for steering and if over-stressed will fail. For a few extra dollars you can have a bullet proof track bar that has greater strength, more resistance to Death Wobble, and more flex.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.