Adjust the sway bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Adjust the sway bar?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Adjust the sway bar?

My front end clunks when I am backing out with the wheel turned. I can see where the sway bar mounting point on the passenger side has rubbed on the spring and chipped away the protective coating.

At the time, it was obvious that the swaybar was loose, so I tightened it up (hand tight). Now there's even more clunking noises coming from both sides.

How do you properly tighten a swaybar? Is it supposed to be kind of loose or tightened all the way down?

On the other hand, what's the proper adjustment for the front swaybar? Is it possible to rotate it towards the grill some to make sure it doesn't hit the springs?

I'm trying to get some pictures, but it's like a zillion degrees outsides so my camera lens is still foggy. grrr.

The susp. pics are here: Susp. pics

Last edited by bigalpha; 06-12-2008 at 08:37 PM..
bigalpha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
cc cherokee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have stock sway bar links. You need to buy longer ones or some adjustable quick disconnects to rotate the bar up and avoid contact with the coil. Tighten the upper and lower link bolts nice and snug. You should inspect the sway bar bushings too while you're at it. Good luck. HTH
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, the bushings looked pretty bushed (har har). Do you think that's what could be causing the pop/clunking sounds? It happens the most when I'm turning and backing up.
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

This Is Why You Need Longer Swaybar Endlinks When You Install A Lift Kit.

Those drop brackets aren't long enough. Also, notice how the studs on the top of your endlinks are now bent?
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

after what size of lift should you get new / longer links?
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anything taller than a budget boost.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Whoo, easy. I didn't get the Jeep lifted, it was already lifted when I got it. That's why I'm here looking for advice. This is my first vehicle that is lifted and a Jeep.

I'm learning as I go.
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just get some longer endlinks. If you plan on wheeling the Jeep much, invest in some quick disconnects from JKS or Rubicon Express. If you're the DIY type and are willing to trade some ease of use for cost, you can convert your stock endlinks into disconnects and lengthen then at the same time -- http://jeepin.com/features/discons

Unread 06-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that. Looks much cheaper than buying commercially.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.