Accident Photos - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Accident Photos

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Accident Photos

So I recently saw a thread about someone who had been in an accident and thought it would be cool to see how some of our Jeeps had fared in wrecks among the forum. Fender Benders, total losses, doesn't matter. Brief explanation if you'd like. I don't need your life story to see that you backed into a pole

I'll kick this off. Slow and go traffic going uphill, and traffic came to a sudden stop. Well, we all know that running 31's on old brakes, sudden stop isn't really in the Jeep's vocabulary. Apparently it wasn't in the cavalier's behind me either...

I had to replace the radiator because of a small crack at the base, and the front bumper. But the rear damage was the worst. Replaced the muffler/tailpipe. I still have to get the frame straightened so I can mount another hitch back there. The hitch got the worst. Not too shabby though. The paramedics and cops weren't sure at first why I was even there until they realized I was in the middle

Click the thumbnails and it will take you to a bigger image. Dial up friendly post

Unread 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
phrantix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

that sucks. looks like that cavalier got it pretty bad though.

last fall i had rear ended an alero because, well, basically the same as your story.
fast stops, and not paying attention also.

all i had to replace on mine was the rad. it had cracks all over the place. the bumper was a little dinged up, but no need to replace. but the alero was almost totaled. never really heard from that lady again, but the whole back end was messed. pushed the trunk right in.

no pictures, though, sorry.
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap that cavalier is DONE.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

And get this, the cavy's insurance company tried telling me that the front accident was more severe than the rear and so therefore I was responsible for 70% of mine and my passengers injuries. I about flipped a lid. I was thinking just the opposite, but in the end I could only talk them down to 50/50. I hate dealing with progressive. Nothing but problems with those guys.

Oh and I was paying full attention going uphill, only around 25-30 mph and slammed on the brakes, but still couldn't stop in time. It was like someone dropped an anchor ahead of me.
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
XJride231
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dont have pics of my totalled XJ, but It didn't look much like anything, grill bent in just enough so the hood couldn't open, and the front left quarter panel bent, but the fender still attached. Airbags deployed cause the hit was pretty fast... XJ's are tough .... I hit a mountaineer which lunged forward into an altima, and the nissan ended up looking like that cavalier.

Anyway...

Result : total loss.

No real mods to speak of, so didn't seem worth salvaging despite the lack of significant damage beyond the radiator.

Colorado JEEP club member #123
XJride231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mine got totalled too. They only gave me 2200 for it though. Which again I felt was way undervalued. They don't take into consideration the $4k I put into it, so I was forced to buy it back. The money went to new long arms and other stuff though so I'm not complaining.
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If i didnt read your post, i would say that you stopped to help the people in the Cobalt and Mountaineer to see if they were ok... Besides the side marker, at quick glance, it doesnt look like anything.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
XJride231
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They gave me 8500 for the 00 with 80 K on it. I jumped at it.

Read this post for anyone who thinks you're paying too much for a similar Jeep with this price when buying..... The insurance company agreed with it!

Colorado JEEP club member #123
XJride231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
XJohnnyC

Does a rollover count?

Rubicon Trail - June 2006 - 2.75 rolls - no injuries - drove it home - total loss

Same Jeep back in 2000 - I rear-ended two compact cars that had stopped on the freeway after a minor fender bender. Crumpled the car in front of me to about even with its rear window and pushed it under the car in front of it so that its back end was sticking up in the air.

Both cars were totalled. The Jeep suffered minor damage to the front end, which was repaired within a week. Oh, and I was found NOT at fault.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

To O.P.: Man imagine if you had a unibody tied in steel bumper with the grill guard. Probably would only have scratches. Im glad all were ok.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

last year on bald trires i put my old XJ going 40 (too fast in a 45 mph zone) on ice into a tree, the bumper pushed in only 4 inches, but the forces on the old stock 87 ripped motor mounts and such and the entire engine block pulled foward blowing rad., trans, steering and engine. It started up but couldnt move, total loss, but i was safe which was amazing. The body was bent but amazingly i was safe

Oh yeah, backing out of my driveway the other day about 5 mph in N (i have a slanted driveway and manual now) i hit the new mazda RX-8, my bumper had a small dent and paint scratch, but the mazda needs a new front end, the ownder was cool about it, but i hate crumple zones, too bad jeeps are tanks and dish out destruction
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Hackmeister
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my old '96 after an accident last April. Driving down Huntington ave in Boston, someone was sitting on the trolley tracks waiting to turn left but got stuck when my side turned green, so as the train came they floored it into me. Both cars were considered a total loss, thankfully nobody seriously hurt. My girlfriend in the passenger seat hit the dash so hard her shin broke the thing. I had only paid $1200 for my Jeep so I jumped at the $4k offer.

The grill is hanging on my kitchen wall as a reminder to everyone to wear seatbelts! They saved our lives that day
Green '96 XJ Sport. 92K miles, AX15 tranny, D30/Chrys 8.25 axles, stock gas tank skid from '87XJ, OEM fogs on bumper that don't work, C4x4 tow hooks, class 2 hitch with home made drawbar for a shackle, 31x10.5 BFG AT KO's, 3" OME lift with full packs, coils, JKS discos, JKS adjustable trackbar, YJ rubber brake line hoses, hockey puck bumpstops, 1" homebrewed transfer case drop, skidrow transfer case skid, electric fan override switch, IPF headlights with silverstar ultrawhite bulbs, JCR stage 2 sliders
Hackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Wrecked 87' comanche from my sig....

Long story short:

I was in bed around 11pm, and I hear a boom outside. I go out, and the jeep is literally flipped upside down in my neighbors front lawn, and it took down one of her smaller trees during the roll (neighbors that saw it claimed a height of like 5 feet in the air).

Drunk came flying down our street *35mph speed limit, but she must have easily been going 65*, lost control on a turn, went across the yard, and as you can tell, directly t-boned the manche parked in the driveway.

She got away with a wreckless driving ticket, as no sobriety test was done. Even though you could smell the liquor off her breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackmeister

The grill is hanging on my kitchen wall as a reminder to everyone to wear seatbelts! They saved our lives that day
Cool. I keep the 4.0L emblem on my desk, and I also have the shift knob off the manche. It was the first vehicle to really get me into the jeep world. And thus why I picked up another.
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
jmitywhitey
1988 MJ Comanche 

my mj slid into the back of a ford focus caused about a 1000 dollars damage to it caused about 3 dollars damage to the jeep

when you have a jeep who needs brakes
jmitywhitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #15
jeepinsane89
2000 XJ Cherokee 

bummmmmmmmmmmmmp
2000 XJ Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 with 4.5" Rough Country Lift Kit with Front coil springs, front lower control arms, transfer case drop kit, front track bar drop bracket, swaybar links, brake line relocating brackets, 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, and rear add-a-leafs, RC's Steering Stabilizer, 32" inch BF Goodrich All-Terrains, Cragar Soft 8's 15x8 rim, Flowmaster Super 40 Series Muffler with new 2.5" tubing all around, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Set of Hella 500 Driving lights (on bumper), K & N Air Intake.
jeepinsane89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.