Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Accessory power for DRL?

404 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  desbennett004 
#1 ·
I've got some fog lights mounted under the bumper, which draw power directly from the battery, and were shorting out when I first got the XJ. I am taking them out, and putting some LED in their place (yes I solved the short issue) and was thinking, can I just turn these into DRL instead of 'fog' lights by routing accessory power to the switch?

I'm only referring to them as DRL since they would generally be on all the time unless I switched off; and my main reason for doing it is to ensure I don't leave them on accidentally.

They are only 20w combined, (1.3A according to the spec)

My main concern would be overworking the accessory circuit.... I could easily take it from the stereo harness, I've got a very dinky little mechless unit that doesn't draw much at all.
Is there a better spot on a 98 Sport to take it from, and have it either be accessory or 'on'?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Use any wire circuit controlled by the ignition key, to power a switch, that triggers a relay. Connect the lights to the relay. The switch will only have power when the ignition is On, and then can be used to turn the lights On or Off. This way, when the ignition key is Off, the lights will always be Off.

Relays use very little power to function, and the power for the lamps would be supplied by the battery.

#3 ·
Use any wire circuit controlled by the ignition key, to power a switch, that triggers a relay. Connect the lights to the relay. The switch will only have power when the ignition is On, and then can be used to turn the lights On or Off. This way, when the ignition key is Off, the lights will always be Off.

Relays use very little power to function, and the power for the lamps would be supplied by the battery.
^^^^^ yup. Relays are dirt cheap and that routing will reduce voltage drop seen by the lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.