Is the AC system and the engine cooling system connected - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Is the AC system and the engine cooling system connected

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
firedogut

Is the AC system and the engine cooling system connected

I'm sure i'm going to get ripped for starting a new thread but i felt it was a new question.

Is the AC system connected to the Engine cooling system. If i am having issues with overheating could it because of compressor, r134a charge, ...etc

i don't think they are but hell i might be way off base here.

firedogut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

From the other post: How is your fan clutch? Did the overheat light go away? Does your electric fan kick in when the AC is on?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
firedogut

Have not tested anything yet. just happen a few min ago and frankly its 100+ outside i might wait a few hours before i look at it.

the light went off after 1-2 min (soon after the light turned green)

lets see if i can remember how to test the fan clutch.
When i got home (maybe 4 min after the light turned on) i do recall the both fans turning.

i also notice a ton of condensation around the low pressure side of the AC system. haven't seen that a while from what i can recall.

are the two system connected?
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

They are not 'connected', but your engine is working harder to turn the AC compressor.
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
firedogut

so i possibly fixed on issue to cause another one.
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
justanotherjpr

Is your coolant full? Did the coolant boil? No so much caused another one, but encountered another one. I do not think the two correlated.
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
firedogut

coolant never boiled. no steam or anything just the light. full of coolant. man i don't want to deal with the overheating again. Last time my gut told me the light just would come on early, like the sensor was bad......never replaced the sensor.

tried to spin the fan. it would only move a few inches when it was given a good spin. no free spinning
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedogut View Post
coolant never boiled. no steam or anything just the light. full of coolant. man i don't want to deal with the overheating again. Last time my gut told me the light just would come on early, like the sensor was bad......never replaced the sensor.

tried to spin the fan. it would only move a few inches when it was given a good spin. no free spinning
Fan clutch sounds good.

I think of having the A/C on like towing a trailer. Even if your system is in good shape it can run hot or overheat. It may be a sensor too, if it sending the wrong message without things boiling over, that'll trigger the light.

Get it up to temp where the e-fan comes on WITHOUT the A/C on (215-220) See if it comes on. If not, it's only running one circuit and only coming on with the A/C or defrost modes. By then the system is already running hot.

Don't know about your year but the A/C is always going to be a stresser.
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
dmm219

they are related in "slight" ways...but they are not connected.

A couple I can think of:
1. When the A/C is running, the condenser will be given off heat, right around the same area as the radiator, which could make your radiator performance suffer (very slight if at all noticable).
2. Running the A/C puts extra strain on the engine to turn the compressor, which could raise engine temp (again, very very slight)
dmm219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.