Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AC help?

829 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Chero2000 
#1 ·
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, automatic, 4x4, stock.

Had the evaporator replaced about 2 years ago, work the first summer okay, last year it didn't. The compressor seemed to be cycling, so I figured maybe it was low on Freon. Bought a can R134 with gauge on it. The system read the correct pressure for what was stated on the can that it should read, so doesn't
seem to be a lack of Freon. Was reading on here about blend door problems, so this afternoon I removed the control motor on the underside of the unit, tried switching it back and forth by hand, seems to move easily. Didn't seem to make any difference with getting any cooling air out of the vents. Another dead end.

So I'm looking for other suggestions on possible problem. Been a good Jeep, except for the AC over the years. This is the second evaporator it has needed since we bought it used in 2003.

Thanks John

#2 ·
If whoever changed the evap coil didn't evacuate the system property before it was charged up, it might have stuff in it that has frozen up and/ or blocked up the coil. It can happen if there is moisture in there and it hasn't been bought down to vaccum.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Without the right equipment it may be difficult to diagnose. I would suggest taking your jeep to someone who can hook up gauges to the supply and return lines and verify that the coolant pressure is good and it is cooling correctly. Not only that but they will be able to create a vacuum on the system eliminating any moisture. The entire process is very simple and should be fairly inexpensive to have done.

#5 ·
Consider that the 2000/2001 AC system is different than previous years. Refer to the system description and the functional schematic below. Your Low Pressure Switch and/or High Pressure Switch may be defective. The switch connectors can be jumpered using a small paper clip to see if the circuit(s) are intact.

Also, check the fuse(s) in the Power Distribution Center (see pic).

There's a relay in the PDC that may be defective. Unless you have fog lamps, swapping relays is not an option for troubleshooting.

#10 fuse in the JB controls the AC Compressor Relay, but if it were blown other circuits would be inop as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.