AC compressor removal/idler replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I made some progress on my radiator project today. With the radiator and condenser out, I had the absolute best access to this bracket. I pulled the old one off and did a test fit to make sure everything looked good. The idler pulley lines up with the bracket so itís going on. I may run it with two bolts for now so I can get my other projects moving along also.

Itís an easy swap if you can find the bracket from a 92-95 XJ at a good price. Just 4 bolts, 3 into the block/head and one through the timing case cover. The bolt through the cover is hidden by the pulley so it is helpful to remove the fan and pulley. I'll swap over my idler as that bering feels a little better.

As you can see in the photo, the snapped bolt is the front most, closest to the head.

The snapped bolt is still holding tight. I havenít tried heat yet but that might be in order. One thing to note on that bolt; I was able to get a good 4 or 5 revolutions after I cracked it loose initially and then as I was unscrewing it, it began to seize up and that is when it snapped, where the most rust was. So it wasnít totally seized with rust when I broke it loose. I suspect it should be easier to get out once I can get a solid grip.

Lots of cleaning to do still before I finalize this install.

Attached Images

1989 stock 2 door LTD XJ w/ 4.0L + AW4
and 4 Volvo 240s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 07-02-2017, 01:52 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I have an idler pulley bracket and pulley I bought from O'Reilly. It's a Dorman brand. It works good and eliminates the compressor.

This is been a great mod for me. I never once missed my AC. Though I do live in a Northern climate where AC isn't really needed.
Summer this year is hotter than hell in my local area. That's unusual for this area. It doesn't usually get that hot here. I'm missing the Jeep AC this year. My solution is to drive my Buick on hot days because its AC works.

Even so, I'm glad I removed it from the Jeep because it wasn't working anyway. So at least I got to save some weight and not have it kicking on the AC compressor and electric engine fan in the Winter when I run the defoggger/defroster. It defrosts/defogs plenty fast, partly because I have a 205F thermostat which makes the heat nice and warm.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 AM
spistols

Dumb question, but seems like the answers/members on this forum may know the info- I have to remove my AC Compressor in my 1993 XJ for the mere fact of getting to a snapped Oil Pressure sensor switch. I do not need to disconnect, just move out of the way until I make the sensor repair-AC blows nice and cold now. Easy/Hard? Any known problems of any more bolts snapping- Lord knows I do not need anything more to snap, as this is what started this in the first place.

Thanks for any info.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spistols View Post
Dumb question, but seems like the answers/members on this forum may know the info- I have to remove my AC Compressor in my 1993 XJ for the mere fact of getting to a snapped Oil Pressure sensor switch. I do not need to disconnect, just move out of the way until I make the sensor repair-AC blows nice and cold now. Easy/Hard? Any known problems of any more bolts snapping- Lord knows I do not need anything more to snap, as this is what started this in the first place.

Thanks for any info.
If you just need to move the compressor out of the way, you should be able to do that with the compressor still hooked up. Once you start disconnecting the high or low side A/C lines you'll have to get the system re-charged. Is the switch you need to fix on the receiver/dryer? If it is mounted in the same location as in my 89 XJ (under the compressor, next to battery), there is a single stud/nut holding it to the body. You can remove that nut and move the dryer around to get better access. It's down at the bottom, pointing straight up. If you decide to pull the compressor off I'd recommend soaking the bolts down and taking your time removing them. If you can, loosen them a couple of turns and then spray the penetrating oil into the holes below the bolt heads. I was in a bit of a hurry at the JY getting my bracket, so my problem may have been preventable.

1989 stock 2 door LTD XJ w/ 4.0L + AW4
and 4 Volvo 240s
post #20 of 23 Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 AM
spistols

Compressor

Al_XV

Thanks for the response. Basically, I only need to move the compressor out of the way, to gain access to the oil pressure sensor I stupidly broke trying to remove.

A local shop wanted to charge in excess of $750 just because of how labor intensive this job is, as I understand it is labor intensive, but not that much $ worth, for me.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spistols View Post
Al_XV

Thanks for the response. Basically, I only need to move the compressor out of the way, to gain access to the oil pressure sensor I stupidly broke trying to remove.

A local shop wanted to charge in excess of $750 just because of how labor intensive this job is, as I understand it is labor intensive, but not that much $ worth, for me.
It's not that labor intensive, unless they don't know what the're doing or are ripping you off. My cousin removed my compressor in 15 or 20 minutes with hand tools. If he had air tools it would have been faster. If he had been moving it over temporarily, and then back again, then maybe an hour if he doddled and ate at sandwich while working.

My cousin isn't even a pro. Well, not exactly. He's a backyard mechanic who works on a lot of family and friends cars. Maybe he's a semi-pro at most.

I would avoid the shop that said $750 because IMO they're incompetent and/or dishonest.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #22 of 23 Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not a mechanic, but it's so simple I'd have done it myself, if I wasn't badly handicapped from a car wreck.

post #23 of 23 Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 AM
spistols

Fixed the complete problem, for @ $50, and in @ 4.5 hours. Not bad for saving $700 on a Saturday afternoon!

Tags
a/c , compressor , delete , idler pulley , removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.