AC compressor removal/idler replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj AC compressor removal/idler replacement

Hi All,

I'm looking to remove the AC components on my 89 Cherokee (4.0L). The compressor is shot and I'd rather have the extra space under the hood (and less weight). I found this post for the idler pulley to replace the compressor in the serp belt loop:
(link here-omitted due to first post)

It's available at my local Napa, but I want to make sure it would fit/mount on my engine. The fitment info says 1991 and newer however in some other forum posts it is mentioned it will replace the compressor if it is mounted 'on top'. I assume that means at the top of the engine which is where mine is also installed? can anyone confirm/help?

Thanks,
A-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
the napa part number is: 6601826
post #3 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM
john NC

2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have a '00 but have had the bypass pulley installed for over 2 years with no problems. if it fits it should work, it just bolts into same holes compressor does. you can always return it

00 XJ - missing lots of sheet metal

RIP: 05 TJ

post #4 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have an idler pulley bracket and pulley I bought from O'Reilly. It's a Dorman brand. It works good and eliminates the compressor.

This is been a great mod for me. I never once missed my AC. Though I do live in a Northern climate where AC isn't really needed.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM
wiscocherokee

Been looking into the same thing for my '00, had the compressor pulley seize on me today after a drive down to Florida.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-19-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yes, it seems like an easy install. I'm just trying to figure out why my year XJ (89) is not listed for years that part should fit. Seems like it should but I wanted to see if anyone else had an idea about why it wouldn't.

I can't wait to ditch all the A/C parts. I'll be doing a cooling system overhaul soon with a new radiator so it'll be the perfect time to pull out the AC parts and get the shorter upper radiator hose as well.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
No luck!

ok, I can confirm this part won't mount up to my 89 or other renix years 4.0L engines. The part mounts to the bracket the AC compressor mounts to, NOT directly to the block like I thought. The compressor bracket is different for my 89 so I can't use this Napa part. I also can't find the bypass pulley that would mount to my bracket. I took a look at a newer XJ to see if I could just swap the AC compressor bracket, but I noticed the factory idler pulley is a component of the AC bracket on my 89 and is not part of the bracket on newer XJs.

The only advice I've received was to try to find an original bracket for my year from a donor XJ that didn't have factory AC. Seems like a rare part to find. Are there any other suggestions on how to eliminate the AC on my engine?

Here is the Napa part that won't work:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6...?interchange=1
post #8 of 24 Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM
GizmoBolwer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get one from a Comanche

I did this to my XJ a while back, and yes, finding the idler was a pain.

I stumbled upon a Comanche with the same engine and no air.

Unbolted the compressor housing from the block and bolted in the idler.

Just to be safe, I changed the bearing first, but that was it.

Dave
post #9 of 24 Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 PM
75SV1

The Renix one is 53002904 Bracket,Idler Pulley. I did a search, I don't think it is available new. I also searched other forums. You might be able to use the 91-95 HO by-pass bracket with the 91-95 AC bracket. The latter 96-up stuff is different. Different routing and I think a bit forward. If this doesn't work out PM me. I might have the A/C delete bracket for an '88 Comanche. Some also say you can use a shorter belt. Might do a search on that.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM
cl700
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Do you need to drain the system before you remove a a/c compresser? And how do you cap off the other parts? Anyone have the size stops you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride like its your last
post #11 of 24 Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
The Renix one is 53002904 Bracket,Idler Pulley. I did a search, I don't think it is available new. I also searched other forums. You might be able to use the 91-95 HO by-pass bracket with the 91-95 AC bracket. The latter 96-up stuff is different. Different routing and I think a bit forward. If this doesn't work out PM me. I might have the A/C delete bracket for an '88 Comanche. Some also say you can use a shorter belt. Might do a search on that.
Thanks, this is a great help! I'll be calling around my local parts yards to see if there are 91-95 XJs I can get the updated AC bracket from. With that range of years I think I'll be able to find it locally, but if not I'll keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl700
Do you need to drain the system before you remove a a/c compresser? And how do you cap off the other parts? Anyone have the size stops you need?
In my case, the AC system is already evacuated and I'll just be removing all the parts except the AC core in the dashboard.

If I understand AC systems correctly, the refrigerant is a gas/vapor at ambient temperatures. When it is compressed it becomes a liquid and this is the basis of an AC system. If your AC system is old and any of the seals or connections aren't doing their job, the refrigerant will escape into the atmosphere because it is/was under pressure. In that scenario almost all of it would 'naturally' escape and the system would be fine to disassemble. I'm not totally sure but there may be some liquid (oil) lubricant in the system, probably in the compressor itself. I assume you drain that off into another container but I'm guessing only a couple of ounces.

A while back I contacted someone on cragislist that was offering AC system charging. I asked about AC system removal and evacuation of my R12 system on an old Volvo I have. The guy said he could do it but said I should check if my system was even holding pressure first. He said to find the High pressure schrader valve on the line to the compressor and momentarily tap the center of the valve (as fast as possible to prevent excessive depressurization). If you hear a hiss from the pressure escaping, then your system is still holding a charge. Otherwise you're good to go on removing the system components. But if you have pressure, I don't personally recommend evacuating it to the atmosphere.

As for capping off components, you might not bother if you don't plan on re-using any parts in the future. I might cut the two AC lines running to the core and crimp/fold the steel lines to create a cap, or might just leave it open since I don't really care about the core. But if you are removing all the parts, what else would there be to cap off?

Last edited by al_xv; 06-07-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: regarding capping the system
post #12 of 24 Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I got the AC bracket from the local parts yard today. It took lots of sweat and a small amount of blood, but I got if from a 93 (I think) XJ. $30 for the bracket and another $30 for the bypass pulley and I'm almost there. While removing the 4 bolts holding on the compressor, one of them snapped due to rust. The bypass pulley part only needs 3 of the 4 bolt holes, but of course the snapped bolt was one of the 3. Any thoughts if I can get by with only 2 bolts on that? I don't really have a setup to drill and tap at the moment.

Anyway, I really just wanted to update this thread regarding the compressor bracket so others with my situation will know what to look for.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 AM
75SV1

I would think 3 bolts would be minimum. I doubt the one that snapped off was above the surface. If you had a hand drill, to drill it out. Use PB rust blaster, then an easy out. Be careful with an easy out. I like the square tapered ones. I don't break them as much.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
al_xv
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The snapped bolt was actually above the surface, maybe about a 1/2 inch. The 4 bolts to mount the compressor all had rust about 1.5 inches from the bottom but the last 1/2 inch was rust free on the three I was able to remove. This one snapped off in the rusty section. I've been soaking the remaining 'stud' of the bolt with penetrating oil since yesterday. I'm hoping I can get a vicegrip on it and get it out. I'll keep soaking it down for the next couple of days and try this weekend.

If not I might just take a angle grinder to it to knock it down and try an easy-out. I have one somewhere and it might be small enough for this bolt. If not, I guess it'll be another trip to Ace...
post #15 of 24 Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM
75SV1

OK, it might work. I do not know what the three bolt are at. If say this one is front and nearer the engine, it might work. Or even back, and the other two on the outside. I'd put some heat on the bolt, as in cherry red. Then get a vise grip on it, and some PB Rust blaster, or Kroil. If that don't work, drill a hole, then heat again, try the vise grips. If the hole goes in centered, then you can drill it out, or even off center, drill till one side get to the threads. I'd heat it again and see if it would budge.
I've used propane torch on some bolts before. It works OK. Won't get red hot though. Trying to expand the bolt to break the corrosion bond.

Tags
a/c , compressor , delete , idler pulley , removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.