AC Compressor Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

AC Compressor Question

2000 Jeep Cherokee, about 130k on it.

So i'm about to begin my annual week-off to work on the house/Jeep in a couple of weeks - window frame repair and rear suspension change. And I had a funny thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago...

I replaced my heater core and evaporator last fall during my annual week of work (that sucked) and emptied and refilled the AC this spring. It worked awesome, super cold. And I knew my steering box was getting bad and my steering pump needed to be replaced and I was driving then all of a sudden i heard a loud bang and see something fly under my hood and i lost power steering, I thought something was wrong with my ps pump because it was getting real whiny. I get off the highway and i'm driving it back to my house when the engine starts to overheat bad. I pull over and see my pulley on the PS pump broke off and my S belt was just hanging there. I had it towed to my local mechanic (along with the parts I bough - PS pump/box) and had them replace those along with the pulley. It's amazing the difference replacing the box btw - wow.

Now my mechanic told me that my compressor was frozen and it put pressure on the belt, snapping the plastic pulley. he told me the compressor should be replaced. I was thinking of tackling this during my week off as it doesn't seem bad and i have AC tools.

Question, does his reasoning make sense? Any way to further analyze that? I trust him and they've helped me out plenty over the years but I'm finding out they aren't the best at diagnosis.

Any suggestions would be huge on how I can confirm or further diagnose. i don't' want that to happen again. I can say that perhaps I slightly overfilled the AC so perhaps that helped kill it - I have the gauges and it could have been 5-10 lbs more than recommended. I was going to drain it a bit but it was so cold.... I'm not sure if that would help with the diagnosis.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr01Sport View Post
125k on my 01. My compressor pump was in the process of locking up. It was all wobbly when it was engaged and starting to fry the belt. Just replace it. They're kinda cheap though I realize you just did recharge it.
OK, i think i will then. I never knew they could do that to the belt. That sucked when it happened. I thought I broke something off the PS pump because it already needed to be replaced. That wasn't fun.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 AM
ReclusiveXen
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Should get a compressor from a pull it cause advanced shows it's for like $190 new...

Of course you can always delete it for like $10.

'97 XJ Sport "The Piece": http://www.imgur.com/a/6L56y
XJ Wiring: http://www.gmodsc.com/?~=32
post #4 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm driving the heep now, as long as i don't engage the AC, I'm OK right? It'll only freeze up again when in use? I want to make sure It's not going to mess up again, i have a long trip to go on Friday.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So if the pulley got frozen once, can that happen again if i'm not using the AC? Or is it only when the ac is on? I should add I've been driving it for about a week without the AC on and I haven't had a problem.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bump, can anyone help me out with this? I have a long trip ahead of me tomorrow and I don't want to get stranded in the Adirondacks. Thanks for any help you can provide.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 PM
bz5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If the bearing on the compressor pulley is good you should be all right. Disconnect the wiring harness to the compressor clutch so it can't possibly engage. (the compressor also runs in defrost mode)

Bob K
'91 XJ Laredo 4.0 NP242 Selec-Trac
'04 WJ Overland 4.7 HO NV247 Quadra-Drive
post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz5 View Post
If the bearing on the compressor pulley is good you should be all right. Disconnect the wiring harness to the compressor clutch so it can't possibly engage. (the compressor also runs in defrost mode)
Awesome, it's running fine now and it broke with the AC on - it's been off ever since. Great advice on disconnecting the harness. I'l do that tonight when I get home.

Thanks, John
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not to beat up a dead horse, but just in case you wanted an answer about the composite pulley. In april of 2013 I put a 99 xj back on the road with a used engine. While going over something under the hood I noticed that my p/s pump pulley had a crack in the center near the metal hub. I thought I need to replace that, well after doing a lot of repairs to the jeep it had slipped my mind. In August of 2013 I had moved from Kentucky to Missouri (about 180 miles). On the way back to our house from town (22 miles on way) I heard a bang and a commotion under the hood, followed by battery light and a climbing temperature. I opened the hood to discover that the pulley exploded. I believe it would be good practice to watch for cracks on these plastic pulleys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.