AC Compressor Clutch Replacement?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AC Compressor Clutch Replacement??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
sabrinaUGA

AC Compressor Clutch Replacement??

Tomorrow, I'm due to replace my AC Compressor clutch. (Cherokee, 1996, 2WD 6 cyl Auto) The pulley is wobbling something fierce (audible from the cabin). However, I'm finding plenty of advice on replacing both AC Compressor and clutch together, but not the clutch alone...
Any advice? Again, need to do this saturday Sept 14 :-)
Kind of new to this, so any thoughts at all would be welcome!

Thanks!
Sabrina

sabrinaUGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
Gacherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It depends if the clutch has done any damage to the compressor. In most cases you change only the clutch because they will usually go bad before the compressor. This is a less expensive fix also. The cheapest cmpressor that I have found is around $700.00. A clutch should not cost much over $100.00. It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend!
1997 Black XJ Sport 4x4, 1" Shackle/coil spacer lift, Ram Brush guard w/ 6in spot lights, Smittybilt Nerf bars, Class III Hidden Hitch, Elliptical Driving Lamps, Prime Wheels#234 15x8.5, 30x9.50r15, BFG AT's, JVC CD player, Alpine V12 Amp, 1-12in RockfordFosgate Subs, 5-1/4 Rockford Fosgate component speakers in doors & sound bar, Euro-spoiler, Pacesetter Cat-Back, Optima Red Top battery, HID Headlamp Conversion, Gabriel Hijacker Air Shocks on rear axle
Gacherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
sabrinaUGA

Compressor Prices

Uh oh...
So you're telling me the dealership may actually be giving me a good price quote?
Get this:
Clutch alone: $230
Compressor + Clutch: $500

So I'm thinking, compressors must be cheap...maybe I was wrong..I've been calling everywhere, and this is about what it's looking like. I should have also asked what the compressor alone costs....Hmm. Will do when I go to the dealership after work.
I also tried aftermarket parts (autozone mainly, but also napa and pep boys), but they have neither the compressor nor the clutch in stock ANYWHERE, though their prices are sounding nice (~$250 for both clutch and compressor). Since I'm desperate for the jeep to cease threatening imminent collapse (at least what it sounds like), I ordered the clutch alone. It will be here tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I've only acquired the jeep (from my family: NOT maintenance conscious people) 8 months ago and she needs ALOT of things right now. This is one of 3 concerns for this weekend alone. So I'm hoping the compressor is fine. There seems to be no change in sounds or performance with the AC on, and the ac is still as cold as ever, though I'm not running it much now. But my worry is...she's got 112,000 miles now...should I go ahead and change the compressor? My wallet and time schedule say no, but I'm looking for a third opinion Guess we'll see tomorrow!

Sabrina
Unread 09-13-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
Gacherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Now remember I have a 97 XJ. My comp may be a different one from what you have. As for as the parts stores their prices are for Rebuilt compressors. The dealers all sell new items, which is a better product. I would go ahead and get the clutch for now and hold off on the Compressor until next spring. Fall is right around the corner.
1997 Black XJ Sport 4x4, 1" Shackle/coil spacer lift, Ram Brush guard w/ 6in spot lights, Smittybilt Nerf bars, Class III Hidden Hitch, Elliptical Driving Lamps, Prime Wheels#234 15x8.5, 30x9.50r15, BFG AT's, JVC CD player, Alpine V12 Amp, 1-12in RockfordFosgate Subs, 5-1/4 Rockford Fosgate component speakers in doors & sound bar, Euro-spoiler, Pacesetter Cat-Back, Optima Red Top battery, HID Headlamp Conversion, Gabriel Hijacker Air Shocks on rear axle
Gacherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I've been running a $40 junkyard compressor (and clutch) for 6 years now. The advantage of just changing the cluch is you don't have to recharge the compressor.

Save yourself tons of $$ and get a junkyard unit or go to

Onboardair

Brad Kilby can beat the pants off the $230 price you've been quoted for the clutch. Matter of fact, I just went to his site and he wants $250 for a brand new Sanden compressor with the clutch!

Tell the dealer no thanks!

Last edited by OldJeepguy; 09-13-2002 at 07:55 PM..
OldJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
arpy

I would also recommend a new compressor over remanufactured, however you CAN get new ones at a parts store. For example, NAPA's online catalog shows one for Gacherokee's 97 model for $489, new.
The junkyard solution is always an option, if you go that route try to get one from a low mileage wreck.
Many professional AC techs will say that if the clutch is bad the compressor won't be far behind. Of course, this isn't true in all cases.
It comes down to how much you want to spend. Has anyone mentioned the fact that individual pieces of the clutch can be replaced? For example, it sounds like its the bearing that is going out, maybe you can save the coil and pulley/hub.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #7
sabrinaUGA

New updates

Hey guys-

Thanks for the advice! Went by the local junk yards today (around atl GA), and no luck. (Was also looking for a fan shroud, since mine has broken irreparably). I had the clutch ordered earlier this week, so, since I need the car by monday , I have to go with the expensive part. Next time...
Thought you might want to know, just pulled the clutch, and the bearing is completely seized. Yikes, the whole interior is hosed. Glad I got to it today...been a pain, but I'm breaking for dinner. I have one more snap ring to get out, and it's not looking like a simple matter ;-)
Wish me luck, and thanks!

Sabrina
Unread 09-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
arpy

Got my new fan shroud at the dealer and it was amazingly cheap. I don't remember how much exactly, but I remember being very surprised at the low cost for a dealer part. Mine's an 88 tho, yours is probably a different part number so who knows, but check it out! You definitely don't want to run without one.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.