ABS stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ABS stopped working

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
jaardesign

ABS stopped working

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to help me out. All of a sudden my ABS isnt working any more. The ABS dash light isnt on so I dont know whats going on, all I know is that if I even feather my breaks on ice the wheels completely lock up and theres none of the ABS studder. Please Help. What could be wrong? Any easy fixes I could try?

Thanks Alot!!

RE 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, adjustable LCAs (with SkidRow skidplates)and UCAs, adjustable track bar, JKS discos, front and rear steel breaded brake lines, DPG bump plates, front+rear hitch, and 31" bfg ATs

Colorado rocks!
jaardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the ABS fuse?
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
BryanFoster

When you turn on you're XJ does the ABS check light come on?

I had the same problem, and all it was, was the fuses for the ABS had come loose, so I pulled them out cleaned them off and put some Di-Electric grease in there and problem solved. Give that a go.
BryanFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanFoster
When you turn on you're XJ does the ABS check light come on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaardesign
The ABS dash light isnt on
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
BryanFoster

No, I mean the check light. Not the ABS trouble light. I mean when u turn ur jeep on, the ABS light is suppost to come on for a few seconds.
BryanFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
jaardesign

Hi, I checked the ABS fuse on the fuse box and the fuse is okay, but i found two slots labeled ABS and one doesnt have a fuse at all. I guess it never had a fuse in the first place.

When I first turn my key to ON, the Check Engine, Maintinance required, and the Check ABS lights in the dash come on for about 3 seconds and then go off.
RE 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, adjustable LCAs (with SkidRow skidplates)and UCAs, adjustable track bar, JKS discos, front and rear steel breaded brake lines, DPG bump plates, front+rear hitch, and 31" bfg ATs

Colorado rocks!
jaardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
mikeypmcg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

abs sucks

From what I understand the computer is set up to control the abs based on your wheel size since you have changed the wheel size the computer isnt sending the correct information to your wheels. Every person I have known to change their tire size has ended up screwing up their ABS this includes cars and trucks. find a way to get rid of it, and drive it the way people have for 50 years b4 there was abs. PUMP THE BRAKES!!! I believe there have been some posts about removing the ABS. GOOD LUCK
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2403681
mikeypmcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.