About to Install a 3.5" Lift; Question about Shackle Impact - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > About to Install a 3.5" Lift; Question about Shackle Impact

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

About to Install a 3.5" Lift; Question about Shackle Impact

So, I'm about to install a Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Kit (both upper and lower front control arms) and 3" front and rear shocks, and I am going to be replacing my rear leaf shackles as well. Now, the RE leaf springs say they will add 3.5" to lift, and most shackles on the market also mention adding at least 1" to a lift as well. If I replace my rear shackles, even at 1" lift, will my rear end be higher than my front end? Will I be able to compensate my front end using spacers even if I have the short control arms? Should I just go ahead and get long or adjustable control arms? Also, will my shocks end up being too short for the end actual lift height?

I was also thinking about getting the RE boomerang shackles for the rear, which are only supposed to give an additional 1" lift. Thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

"Kit Fox" build - 1996 XJ Sport
lokithecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A shackle adds half of its height to the lift, a 2" shackle will add 1" of lift because it is lifting only on end of the leaf spring.
With many lift shackles, it is necessary to trim a bumper mounting bracket bolt that the shackles run into, under full compression.
A lift shackle will also change the axle to drive shaft orientation and may need to have angled axle shims installed or changed to eliminate drive shaft vibrations.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

So, I should just go with stock replacement shackles, then? These won't have those problems?

Unread 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Or you could do what I did, and install the lift kit and see where you actually end up, and then "fine tune" the stance by choosing exactly the right shackles. In my case, I ended up 1/2" or so low on the back, so made it up with slightly longer shackles.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am running 3.5" RE springs when adjustable upper and lower teraflex arms they work great. I still have a stock shackle. I will say I netted 4.5" in the front and 5.5" in the rear when I installed the lift. Now the jee lists at 4" and 4.25" over stock. I also have a decent bit of armor on my Xj also
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

After 3" lift you can compensate for CA length by shimming them forward at the LCA's body mount. This is only effective up to 4.5" as after that you'll want to use CA drop brackets to keep downward travel. Or switch to long arms. Nothing wrong with spacers to even out your ride or axle angle after a lift shackle set is installed. Boomerangs aren't necessary and more flexible side to side than a straight shackle
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maimedsk8er View Post
After 3" lift you can compensate for CA length by shimming them forward at the LCA's body mount. This is only effective up to 4.5" as after that you'll want to use CA drop brackets to keep downward travel. Or switch to long arms. Nothing wrong with spacers to even out your ride or axle angle after a lift shackle set is installed. Boomerangs aren't necessary and more flexible side to side than a straight shackle
Hah, I think I understood...MOST of that. What does CA mean, again?

Unread 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokithecoyote View Post
Hah, I think I understood...MOST of that. What does CA mean, again?
CA = control arm and shimming the factory arms is just dumb it's a stupid idea, Boomerang shackles do not flex more side to side. I really want to start smacking people on here who give horrible advise

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh my God, of course it means control arm. I understand I will probably be upgrading to long-arms in the future, but I don't want to get new tires (the 30s I have on were brand new when I bought it, and anything over 3" would probably look silly with smaller tires) and I'm happy with it being a road warrior for a little while. Not mention gearing and everything...but yeah, I'm probably not going to be going with shim or blocks in my setup, and it looks like stock shackles will be the deal for now.

Thanks for the input!

Unread 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I am running 3.5" RE springs when adjustable upper and lower teraflex arms they work great. I still have a stock shackle. I will say I netted 4.5" in the front and 5.5" in the rear when I installed the lift. Now the jee lists at 4" and 4.25" over stock. I also have a decent bit of armor on my Xj also
Thats about where I sit with my RE 3.5" kit. Honestly the rear doesnt flex a whole lot with the RE leafs and stock shackle. If you want to keep the 3.5" and not add lift, look into leaf sliders for the XJ.

example of horrible flex (the front is not disconnected):

other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here we go. Another person hating on somebody's advice. Welcome to Jeepforum everybody, where if it isn't your idea it's just "dumb" or "stupid." I ran 3/8 E- shaped shims in my LCA body mounts for over a year with no issue. Only changed it due to drop brackets. Now are those stupid too? Tell the site sponsors that.

As for the boomerang thing, better go take a few courses in physics my friend.

Cheers.
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maimedsk8er View Post
Here we go. Another person hating on somebody's advice. Welcome to Jeepforum everybody, where if it isn't your idea it's just "dumb" or "stupid." I ran 3/8 E- shaped shims in my LCA body mounts for over a year with no issue. Only changed it due to drop brackets. Now are those stupid too? Tell the site sponsors that.

As for the boomerang thing, better go take a few courses in physics my friend.

Cheers.
Different opinions aren't stupid or dumb, but bad advice, like this post, are. What do site sponsors have to do with anything?

OP why do you NEED to change the stock shackles?
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maimedsk8er
Here we go. Another person hating on somebody's advice. Welcome to Jeepforum everybody, where if it isn't your idea it's just "dumb" or "stupid." I ran 3/8 E- shaped shims in my LCA body mounts for over a year with no issue. Only changed it due to drop brackets. Now are those stupid too? Tell the site sponsors that. As for the boomerang thing, better go take a few courses in physics my friend. Cheers.
Well since you are a physics major please post pictures and videos of boomerang shackles twisting. I bet stock style shackles react the same way. I have run boomerang shackles on Several Jeeps and they never twisted or bent. If they were not safe why would every lift company offer them and recommend them over regular shackles. Oh that's right cause they work better.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared
Thats about where I sit with my RE 3.5" kit. Honestly the rear doesnt flex a whole lot with the RE leafs and stock shackle. If you want to keep the 3.5" and not add lift, look into leaf sliders for the XJ. example of horrible flex (the front is not disconnected):
Mine flexes fine with stock rear shackles
image-3141973631.jpg

image-4027175888.jpg

image-973700197.jpg

image-419686286.jpg

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
lokithecoyote
Trickster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
OP why do you NEED to change the stock shackles?
The bushings are shot on them. I was going to just replace the bushings, but since new shackles are only 15 bucks or so (and these ones have some wear), I figured I'd go ahead and have them replaced. Guy at the dealership recommended just switching them out, so that's how I went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared
Thats about where I sit with my RE 3.5" kit. Honestly the rear doesn't flex a whole lot with the RE leafs and stock shackle. If you want to keep the 3.5" and not add lift, look into leaf sliders for the XJ.
Are leaf sliders a replacement for shackles? How do they add more flex? I kind of like the idea of adding a shackle with lift later on when I add a bumper, roof rack, or something with weight to the rear. Could please explain a bit more - and thank you for the responses!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.