99 XJ Will Not Start... Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 XJ Will Not Start... Help!!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
drewxjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 XJ Will Not Start... Help!!!

From the top...
Early last year my speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge quit working at the same time, and the check engine light came on. Since I don't drive fast and work at a gas station I thought I would just deal with it till I needed an inspection, thinking this was probably an easy fix Had a guy run a diagnostics test on it, and got a few different codes the main ones were speed sensor, idle control, MAP sensor. He told me that if the ECU does not know the speed it will cause other sensors to be faulty, but he had a throttle body with all the sensors off a working vehicle laying around so I went ahead and switched them out. Well my inspection has run out, and here are some of the things I replaced/tried:
1) I replaced speed sensor.
2) Replaced throttle body and sensors.
3) Read a few different threads that said it could be a bad ground connection, so cleaned the ground connections.
4) Checked all the fuses under hood and behind kick panel.
5) With a test light I checked to see if I had power going to the sensor while Jeep was running and no power.
6) Checked wires from speed sensor to the main wiring harness.

After all that I tried to find out which wire was the one supplying power to sensor, and chose the purple/orange wire because I found one of those going to the PCM. Also I want to point out that this wire had power directly after PCM, but the purple/orange wire at the speed sensor had no power. I heard or read somewhere that the white/orange wire works the speedometer, so by process of elimination I went with the purple/orange wire, thinking the other would have to be the ground. I may have been wrong, so can anyone help me with this. I then stripped away a little of the purple/orange wires insulator directly after the PCM and right before the speed sensor. Then tied a wire in, making sure it was receiving power, but when I went to start the Jeep it would turn over but not start. I then took wire back off and still no start. I can't hear the fuel pump prime, but checked all the fuses and relays and they are fine. I think I may have made a mistake can anyone help me???

drewxjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
drewxjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also before it quit starting all together it was hard to start, when cold had to put foot on the accelerator or it would quit running right after it started. The idle would be rough as well.
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did the repairs turn off the original Check Engine Light codes ?

Is the Check Engine Light on now ? What codes do you have now ?

Have you tested for power at the fuel pump itself ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewxjman View Post
Also before it quit starting all together it was hard to start, when cold had to put foot on the accelerator or it would quit running right after it started. The idle would be rough as well.
These symptoms describe a failed battery, bad wire connections, or corroded wires at the battery or starter.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
drewxjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The check engine light is now off, but it has not been able to run correctly; and since i had the power disconnected from the PCM it probably cleared it. Also I have that my ground wires at the batt terminal are a little corroded.

Tags
check , fuel gauge , speed sensor , speedometer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.