99 xj studders on take off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 xj studders on take off.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

99 xj studders on take off.

I have a 99 xj. With a 4.0 and an automatic. It's lifted about 3inches but no SYE. It shudders when I take off from a stop at full throttle. It doesn't do it if I take off slower. Its a short, slow shudder not a quick vibration. What would cause this? Maybe some sort of torque management, like anti-slip or something? I just got it and everything else seems ok. I just don't know much about Cherokees. I have been a cj fan for a long time.

Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have a drag jeep like this one ? Could be wheel hop ... maybe some race slicks??
p5070023.jpg  
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im just kiddin .. do you feel like its an engine prob? getting any codes??

Could just be some wheel hop or maybe a broken motor mount or shackle ... do you get any kind of clicking when you turn? Maybe the best thing is to take a good look at your jeep and see if any looks broken, like any bushings and make sure everything is nice and tight ... low tech before hi tech
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

Nope, I'm kinda proud to say its not quite like that one. But I would be cool if it were making enough power to cause wheel hop!
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truitt View Post
Nope, I'm kinda proud to say its not quite like that one. But I would be cool if it were making enough power to cause wheel hop!
I know that would be awesome... mine will spin out eassssy ( but thats just because my tires suck )
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

I don't really thing is an engine problem. It runs really smooth the whole time. No engine codes at all. I feel like its a drivetrain thing. But it doesn't make sense to me that I doesn't do it all the time or become worse at highway speed.
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't really thing is an engine problem. It runs really smooth the whole time. No engine codes at all. I feel like its a drivetrain thing. But it doesn't make sense to me that I doesn't do it all the time or become worse at highway speed.
Might be something small that shows when you get under some torque. full speed from a stand still puts a lot of stress on everything...

I would check for things that are broken or lose
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If it only happens when you "punch it", then one might be tempted to suggest that you *don't DO that*!

But, there is probably some hidden issue just waiting to bite you on the butt so, as Project1 suggested, check your motor and transmission mounts. Also look at the condition of your U-joints and bushings.

You say you just bought it WITH a 3" lift installed and no SYE, correct?
Can you tell if there is a T-case drop kit installed?
Chances are your drive line angles are off. MAYBE it's off just enough to only cause vibes under a heavy load

And to verify how much lift you have, measure from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender flair. Stock is 17.5" front and 17" rear.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

You are correct. I think it is about a 3 inch lift. There's no t case drop. The previous owner cut out the fender wells and installed flares so its really hard for me to tell. The angle of the driveline doesn't look to bad to me. I guess me best bet is to get it inside this weekend and just spend some time crawling around under it. I don't really care much for crawling around in the snow if I don't have to.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked engine and transmission mounts yet?
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yea workin on your car in the freezing cold sucks .....

And a mount or a bushing is a likely problem ..... But like b....1xj said .....

If it only does it when you do a drag race still launch ..... Well..... Just don't do that .... That's a good tip
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the trans mount.
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

I haven't had time to check any of the mounts yet. Spare time is of a rare occurrence around here.
I know that the best way to avoid it is to probably quit doing what causes it in the first place but I just can't help myself. Especially since I just got it.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I haven't had time to check any of the mounts yet. Spare time is of a rare occurrence around here.
I know that the best way to avoid it is to probably quit doing what causes it in the first place but I just can't help myself. Especially since I just got it.
I know the feeling .... That's why I don't ride bikes any more and stick to jeeps ....lol...... Because I just can't help hallin @$$ never goes away ...lol
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Truitt
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post

I know the feeling .... That's why I don't ride bikes any more and stick to jeeps ....lol...... Because I just can't help hallin @$$ never goes away ...lol
It's funny you said that. I actually traded my R6 for the xj.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.