99 Xj sport, IOD issues...yes another one of these posts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 Xj sport, IOD issues...yes another one of these posts

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Squidbille
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 Xj sport, IOD issues...yes another one of these posts

First off this is my first car and I've been learning as i go, so sorry if i sound a little naive at times. So I bought my Xj about two months ago. Everything looked and worked fine. Iod fuse blew two weeks after, replaced it. Good to go.

Well last week it blew again and continued to pop fuses before I even get it into the fuse box completely. I took in to get looked at, and was told i need a completely new wiring harness and fuse box. i don't have 2000+ dollars and need her to work for school. So i decided to see if i can help the issue on my own. I read a lot of forums and decided it was the aftermarket radio or the dome lights. Unplugged the dome lights, and nothing. Took out the radio fuse and wa la! My baby was functioning perfectly.

Well it blew again and didn't start. Replaced asd relay and the coil, and she started up again. Dome lights where back on and radio fuse was still out. Worked for a few days and today blew through 7 fuses, I taped any exposed wire I could get to behind the radio, in the door panels (could've been the side mirrors because they never have worked since this all started happening but couldn't find much) and taped up my fog light wires, which do not work but are still connected.

Unplugged and plugged different components to try and isolate the short, and nothing worked, it just blew the fuse instantly still. I was told it could be a ground short, so I Checked all the grounds under the hood, cleaned them and made sure everything was fine.

(It was) I have no idea what to do anymore. I should also add the blinkers fuse had blown at one point but hasn't since, and the ac went out after I replaced the first IOD. Does anyone have any ideas on what could really be wrong?

Or a solution so my jeep will be ok for some months til I can get that money together for a harness/fuse box? I'm going crazy trying to see what the issue is and what I can do about it. Love my jeep and would hate to have to sell it back if things get too bad. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Squidbille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried pulling fuses from the interior fuse panel to localize the problem?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Unplug the drivers door wire harness. If the fuses stop popping, find and fix the short.

Driver door wiring harness issues are very common. The door has live 12 volts at all times for the power locks, and the domelamps, and it also has speaker wires that connect to the radio. See any pattern developing ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on CJ-7. The IOD is the only fuse? Build a short tester. You will need a back up light and socket, 3 or 4 ft of lamp cord, soldering iron and solder, tape and/or heat shrink. Take one of your blown fuses solder one end of the lamp cord to the tabs on top of the fuse, solder the back up socket to the other end and install the lamp. Insert the fuse in the troubled slot and turn on the ignition. The lamp will limit current flow to less than 2 amps, preventing fires and more damage. When the lamp lights the short is present, move things around until you find the problem(s)

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Squidbille
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update: The PDC Fuse Box began to make a sort of, well I guess buzzing sound again. Then my Xj wouldn't start, again. Had to replace the ASD relay again, coil was good this time though. Runs like a champ again, but is that just a result of the short? I'm thinking my PDC Fuse Box is just bad, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the replies everyone, all of the interior/kick panel fuses are good, tried to isolate and locate the problem with them, and it began to work without the radio. I still have the radio fuse unplugged there because I tried that and the IOD did'nt blow for once, only for about a day though. I unplugged the driver's door harness the other day, only to look for exposed/corroded wires. I think I'll unplug that and try another fuse and see if that works like you said. Also, can I just buy a short tester? With classes I feel like that'd be easier than to make one myself as long as they're not too expensive.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've never seen one. If you like, I'll put one together. should be about 25 bucks including postage. I'll get to the parts store tomorrow and give you an exact price.
Regards,

Jim W
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try this short circuit finder - http://www.handsontools.com/SG-Tool-...er_p_5646.html

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does it work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Let us know if you buy one. If it works it is definitely
worth 30
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Squidbille
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I unplugged the driver's door harness, and my Xj has been good since then, the fuse hasn't blown with the radio and door harness disconnected.
So now, where do I go from here? Also my buddy is coming to town this week with his short tester, so big thanks to CJ7 and JWELK, I appreciate it anyways.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.