99 XJ overheated. Aux fan connector? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 99 XJ overheated. Aux fan connector?

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
gvthnks
1998 ZJ 

99 XJ overheated. Aux fan connector?

Daughters XJ overheated yesterday and I'm trying to figure out why. Not sure if AUX fan is the problem or if thermostat stuck. Not leaning toward thermostat cause if it was stuck closed, I would think it would've run hot before she got to me.

Here's my questions:
If the AC is on, and the aux fan isn't running, is that enough to make it overheat while stopped in traffic for 10-15 minutes?

To 250 Degrees?

Back story below if needed.

99 2WD XJ with 178k on it, 4.0 and automatic.

Two months ago, replaced with radiator with a new one because the old one split down one side of the right hand tank dumping all the coolant.
When I replaced the radiator, I also replaced the water pump with a new one and thermostat as well. Old one wasn't leaking and flowed well, but the mounting tab for the power steering pump was broken off by PO and since I was in there already seemed an easy fix. I flushed the system and backflushed the heater core and the system seemed pretty clean. With the tank broken open on old radiator I could see into the core pretty well and they were surprisingly clean. Good sign. Refilled with appropriate coolant and drove on.

No issues for past two months. Yesterday as daughter was coming to see me at work, (35 miles of mixed highway and city) she got stuck in traffic and temps hit 250. When she got to me, it wasn't boiling over but when she stopped it did and started and pushing coolant out of overflow. AC was running. I used water to cool it down by pouring it over the radiator until it started sucking coolant back in from the overflow. Once cooled down a little, I pulled the cap and topped the radiator off again.

I reached down and grabbed the aux fan wiring harness connector (located below radiator fill cap on left side of jeep) and the fan kicked on for a few seconds, then stopped. (AC still on) grabbed it again and fan started and ran continuously the rest of the time. Poor connection maybe?

I'm thinking lack of airflow... probably caused by faulty fan connection.

Unread 06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, sounds like the first place to start. I would check the connector and see if anything is loose / dirty. Clean up / fix / replace as necessary, and have her listen for the electric fan when the AC kicks on.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would replace the mechanical fan clutch also.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't get my AUX fan's connector reseated properly after removing it for better access once. Combined with my worn (but partially functional) mechanical clutch I experienced pretty much the exact same thing you're describing. Replace the Mech clutch (they're cheap and easy) then start it, turn on the AC and pop the hood. If the Aux fan isn't blowing good an strong when the AC is set to on then you've got a problem with the aux fan or its wiring.
Unread 06-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
gvthnks
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, I was thinking about the fan clutch. Already have one on the shelf at work (part time at AutoZone) so will probably put it on Monday.

Also noticed that sometimes when I cut it off, the aux fan runs for 10-15 minutes or longer.

Is that normal or is the relay sticking?
If that's the case the relay could also be preventing it from turning on when it's supposed to.
Unread 06-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about the fan clutch. Already have one on the shelf at work (part time at AutoZone) so will probably put it on Monday.

Also noticed that sometimes when I cut it off, the aux fan runs for 10-15 minutes or longer.

Is that normal or is the relay sticking?
If that's the case the relay could also be preventing it from turning on when it's supposed to.
I've never heard of one running while the engine is off. Sounds fishy to me, you may be onto something there
Unread 06-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Relays are cheap, I would install a fresh one. A previous owner may have installed an e-fan timer.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.